Wire suitable for multiple lights?

I have 10, 240v, 50w halogen down light which I want to wire in. I am going to wire them daisy chain method and wondered what the best size of wire would be?
I have some two core & earth 1.0mm (flat) , some three core PVC 1.0mm. Are these suitable?
Andy
Also.....another quick question.... where I wanted to position a couple of the lights, there are wooden struts/braces which goes between the 2 joists, (I assume they are for attaching the original plasterboards). Would it matter if my hole cutter severed a couple of these, as the layout for the lights is quite crucial.
Andy

ANDY wrote:

Severing struts/braces: If in any doubt at all - don't. You may be able to nail/screw timber splints first. Be aware of the need to maintain fire spread prevention measures, when penetrating walls/ceilings, if present.
The size of wire shouldn't be too critical - the load is only a couple of amps.
A lot of threads talk about the running costs of 240v halogen lamps of this type. The lamps are expensive and have a high failure rate. You may wish to re-consider and fit 12V lamps and a transformer instead - it should pay for itself in no time.
--
Sue

This would depend.
A couple of things spring to mind. If these struts/braces are level with the joists at the bottom them they are probably joist ties and damaging a couple will not matter, although it would be better if you could replace them. Most electricians and plumbers have to remove some on rewires and central heating installs.
Some houses have plasterboard ceilings that are not attached to the joists but are fastened to floorboard sized timber that is fastened perpendicular to the bottom of the joists. You can cut through these to fit your lights.
Adam
Hi
Yes they are just level with the bottom of the joists and run about every 18" or so the full length of the house tying the joists together. It's a bungalow so I don't think it's massively important to lose a couple.
Andy

The 2 core and earth 1.0mm will be fine. What is the 3 core you refer to? Is it flat 3 core and earth cable or flex?
Adam
Its just round flex, L, N, & Earth
Andy

Job done and working a treat. Thanks to all for the help
Andy