White plastic that turns yellow over time!

Over the years, some white plastic things can turn a yellowy kind of colour and don't look very nice, especially if it's part of some other plastic fixture that has stayed white.

Other than painting it white (!), is there any way of making yellowy plastic white again?

Best wishes,

Bat.

Reply to
Bat

First is to try something like Jif cleaner on it or go to a plastics place and get a tub of proper cleaner. You need an abrasive polishing cream. I still have a very old tub of Gumption cleaner which is a water based abrasive soap cleaner. It works wonders.

If that does not work, proper oil based gloss paint is the only alternative. It must be oil based as it bonds with the plastic and forms a nice permanent seal with it.

Reply to
EricP

Cheers, EricP.

I will pay a visit to Wilko's this afternoon!

Bart.

Reply to
Bat

I wouldn't do that if I were you. The yellowing is a UV effect on the plastic not a surface contaminant, therefore an abrasive cleaner isn't the way.

Brian

Reply to
Brianb

I did wonder!

Looks like I'll have to paint it then :(

Bat.

Reply to
Bat

I understand that Dulux have looked into this and the best thing they came up with was a 5 stage painting operation for a proper result. Never followed up as deemed not viable.

Mike P

Reply to
Mike