Whirlpool Washing Machine

Hi

My Whirlpool washing machine (2yrs old) recently started to smell, so I removed elbow/hose from bottom of drum to pump and discovered a piece of plastic wedged inside (new shirt collar packaging/stiffener). Inside the elbow is a rubber cup like piece and a plasic ball. I assume this must be some sort of non return valve mechanism, but I don't know how it should go back togeteher, as it fell apart when I removed elbow. It's very simple and if I could view a drawing, I could easily see how it should go back together. The Model is Whirlpool AWO/D 4505 and numbers of barcode decal on back are 85923321500, 340639040299. Can anybody point me in the right direction to find a drawing?

Many thanks

enquirer

Reply to
enquirer

Not sure about Whirlpool, but I think the plastic ball is to prevent the wash powder getting into the pump sump as the machine is filling, so the ball floats to shut the opening to the hose. With this in mind, the ball should be at the top near the drum, and presumably the cup below, which might give you a bit of a clue.

Reply to
Harry Stottle

Thanks for the info. I've re-assembled as you describe and it seems to work fine.

It still seems to smell though, so I wonder if it's at all possible for perhaps a sock to have got past the seal and into the cavity around the drum. In this case, I am unsure of how to gain access to this area, so if anybody can help. Is it a big job?

Many thanks

enquirer

Reply to
enquirer

Have a look at the folds in the door gasket, this is a common place for mould to form, or objects to hide. In my experience, mould growth on door gaskets is usually caused by washing at too cool a temperature, and once it has established itself, it is more or less impossible to remove, so an occasional hot wash when washing something like towels can help prevent this. If an item of clothing gets into the outer drum, it usually jams the drum, or finds its way into the tank to pump hose, stopping the machine emptying, but not usually a cause for smells in itself. Another place to check for mould is under the soap drawer. I wouldn't recommend trying to get in the drum, they can be hard to reseal afterwards, and an empty hot wash with washing soda should do the job just as well.

Reply to
Harry Stottle

The occasional use of a hot wash as you said, also it's worth tipping half a bottle or so of white vinegar in as you do so (obviously with an otherwise empty machine).

Reply to
Derryck Croker