Which colour is best for first coat...

Hi, I have to paint over my lovely quaint flowery wallpaper in the hallway; the woodchip, which is a nice lilac colour has to be painted too. I'm selling the house soon, and apart from me and the previous owners that chose the colour scheme, no one likes it at all! So I have been instructed to paint it a nice warm cream colour.
When I moved in here I had to paint over some LOUD wallpaper and tried ye olde famous 'ONCE', obviously called that due to how many times a fool buys the stuff. I do know that I need to do several coats of paint, but is it better to put white paint on first? Will it somehow cover up the patterned paper more easily.
Paper removal is not an option as the wood chip is excellently adhered to the plaster, but alas the plaster to the wall is not...
And hints and top tips please :-)
I bet WARM CREAM is a darn sight more expensive than magnolia too... grumble grumble...
--
Vfallendownastairwellj

Vdkjll wrote:

You want... Johnsons Trade Matt Emulsion, Magnolia. :-)
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

SECONDED.
Sorry for shouting but that is easily the BEST emulsion paint. It'll take more than one coat but it's quite possible two will do. It's magic!
Jim wrote: The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

I've just investigated that make and it looks like it's a good make to cover all sorts of blemishes. I'll go buy some this weekend... I wonder if it can be used as make up if I have any left over... hmmm... :-)
Vdkjll wrote:

Dunno how much you will pay in your neck of the woods? but I pay 14 for 10 litre tub.
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

That's very good value, thanks for the info :-)
Vdkjll wrote:

It covers walls...it dont perform miracles. ;-)
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

lol vg
The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

I'll buy some then... ignore previous post, was getting my question confused.
Thanks for replying.