Which boiler

My 25 yr old boiler is fading fast and I should like to replace it with a quality one. I have been doing some research online and have shortlisted the following Glow worm Worcester Vaillant Broag The boiler would have to be a system boiler for a large detached house. Thanks. Sally

Reply to
sally H

Hi Sally,

We had a Glow worm condensing boiler fitted 5 years ago. Not a minutes trouble. If I recall, they were rated pretty good on efficiency too at the time - but not sure of the standing now. Can't speak for the others.

Midge

Reply to
Midge

ask a plumber or heating engineer if you want an unbiased view. The plumbing forum might be worth posting on

Reply to
AJH

ask a plumber or heating engineer if you want an unbiased view. The plumbing forum might be worth posting on

That will only get you the answer of the boiler that the plumber fits on a regular basis.

I know one plumber who fits only Worcester and blames Valliants poor support team. Another plumber I know only fits Valliant and blames Worcesters poor support team.

When my brother swapped his boiler a few months ago I installed a Worcester for him (regular system)

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

It will get him the opinion of a cross section of professionals based on their day in day out experience.

Reply to
AJH

Asking a plumber or heating engineer will get you the opinion of one man and will not give a cross section of professionals.

I also hope that the OP was a she not a he.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

It's not clear what you are saying, the guy is looking for constructive advice, and if he's looking for a new boiler then the views of the pros who instal and service them will be useful to him.

Reply to
AJH

I will make it easy for you.

The OP is called Sally. I hope that she is not a guy.

And asking ONE plumber or heating engineer only gets ONE opinion.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Like many things, you don't find out how good bad or indifferent something is until after you've parted with your hard-earned cash. I asked for my old boiler back the day after the new one was installed but, of course, that didn't happen.

I bought Worcester (top of their range) because I wanted what I thought would be the best but I cannot recommend them at all. The user interface is appauling and difficult to use. The documentation was misleading and riddled with errors. I have not noticed any significant fuel savings. I think Worcester support is very poor.

If this is the best available, I suppose I should be grateful that I didn't go for any of the others. . I really do suggest that you steer clear of Worcester Bosch!

Good luck. Let us know how you get on, Roger

Reply to
rogher

What model number was that then?

I wire up a lot of boilers made by many different manufactureres and I have never seen a problem with the documentation or had a problem with the "user interface"

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

The boiler I got was Greenstar CDi combi boiler with optimising programmer. I agree that fitters prefer WB but that may be because they get a better margin or because they are easier to fit. The cost was more than double the cheapest quote I got, so it's a shame they're so difficult to operate for the user. There have been no problems as far as reliability is concerned but, in my experience, that's little different to any other boiler I've had. The scant user guide starts off by congratulating me on the purchase of my WB, where "excellence comes as standard", but then contains an error on every other page! The user interface is pants ~ You shouldn't need to go back to the instructions when you want to change a setting. That's my view, Roger

Reply to
rogher

No wonder it cost you a packet. The programmer cost you a fortune. I do not fit many WB programmers because of the cost. And yes they are bastards to use.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

apologies to Sal.

Reply to
AJH

The penny has dropped.

Well done.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

In the end I went for a Glow Worm 38 HXI system boiler. I couldn't make up my mind after having read loads of different opinions, so went for the Which? magazine recommendation. I ordered it from Plumb Nation who delivered it free of charge within 3 days of ordering it - also the most competitive price. It is now up and running and everything seems fine - and we have warm radiators and hot water!!!

Reply to
sally H