Where can I get plates to protect pipes in joists?

I'm after suppliers for the small flat steel plates that you affix to the top of joists to protect water pipes and cables that run underneath. Any ideas?

Reply to
clangers_snout

screwfux in builders metalwork

Reply to
JimK

Thanks. The link to them is here if anyone else is interested:

BTW do pipes/cables only have to be protected where they run through joists? What about where they run between joists, under the floorboards?

Reply to
clangers_snout

I don't believe that they 'have' to be protected. However people (i.e. me :-)) have been known to put a nail in the middle of the board to stop it squeaking! I've only done it once and that was 43 years ago and I still remember the sound of running water as I lifted the hammer ready to hit the nail for the third time.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Andrews

me

That'll teach you to nail floorboards instead of screwing them :-)

Mary

Reply to
oldhenwife

I've only done it the once, too.

But I reckon the sound of hissing gas is worse than that of running water.

Especially when it happens on a bank holiday...

David

Reply to
Lobster

little tip, put some round insulation on the pipes where they run through or over the joist or wherever they actually touch wood, this tends to help stop the pipes creaking, clanking and clicking when the heating systems on!

Reply to
me

Carpet off-cut or some other piece of fabric often used for this.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel