what type of oil

Depends on what type of whetstone, and what you want to sharpen, but just water is often used - perhaps with the addition of a small amount of vinegar. If you do use oil it should be something like a light engine oil - vegetable oil will also be ok.

Reply to
Farmer Giles

Farmer Giles,

If it's a rotary whetstone used for 'rough' sharpening - water will be OK.

If it's an oil stone used for the final sharpening of chisels, plane irons etc - then the old 3 in 1 oil is ideal for this, or any other light oil.

Brian G

Reply to
Brian G

I largely agree with you, Brian, but I didn't think that the OP was thinking of a chisel sharpening oil stone. In an earlier thread he referred to having three whetstones - " 2 rectangular(1 white, 1 grey) ones and a boat shaped one". It sounds to me like he has 'natural stone' whetstones for honing scythes or knives. These can be a very fine 'grit', and not just for 'rough sharpening'. The stone is lubricated to clean the pores and prevent it from clogging, and for this purpose it is not critical whether water or a fine oil is used.

Reply to
Farmer Giles