What's the correct way to solder twin and earth cable?

I need to join some T&E cable that will be inaccessible and I don't want to use maintenance free junction boxes, so what is the approved way to solder and sleeve T&E cable?

Reply to
clangers_snout

Probably better to crimp them - as explained in the DIY Wiki.

Roger Mills

In article , clangers snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk scribeth thus

If your having to ask that.. Don't do it .. crimp it, I would anyday over solder much less fuss and a better joint and self insulating:>...

But make sure to get a decent set of RATCHET crimp pliers not the cheap 'n useless ones..

Reply to
tony sayer

I have a couple of junction boxes in a ring main circuit with spurs off, which apparently don't comply with the latest regs, is it OK to replace these with crimped connectors, and if so, what size connectors would be needed for the extra cores of the spur. If this is not OK, would it be OK to neatly solder the joints, and then lay them in the junction box as before, using the original screws to hold the now soldered joints in place?

Reply to
Harry Stottle

You need some heatshrink in a couple of sizes (about 12mm does the overall sheath). Strip the wires - about 15mm ought to do it. Slide a smaller heatshrink onto the L & N wires, and the larger one onto one of the cables. Twist the ends together tightly inline - much of the mechanical strength of the joint will come from the twisting - you don't want to rely just on the solder. You then want an iron with a decent sized tip and heat capacity. Using a flux cored electronics solder, tin the tip, apply the iron to the joint, wait, then apply solder to the joint and allow it to flow into it. Remove the solder and then the heat. Allow to cool before moving. Repeat for the other wires.

Now using a multimeter on a low ohms range, test the joint quality from the next adjacent test points (i.e. sockets either side in the ring). Disconnect the repaired wires at both ends from the circuit, and at one and twist together all three wires, then measure the resistance between L&N, and L&E at the other position.

Compare your results with the expected values shown here:

(you will need to estimate the length of the cable you are testing)

If all is well, heatshrink it up. And wire the cable back into circuit.

Don't underestimate the importance of testing - one dry joint could cause significant localised heating of the cable.

Reply to
John Rumm

Why? Is it because they are inaccessible for testing/inspection?

There isn't any general requirement to bring such items up to current regs, as long as they conform with the regs in place at the time they were installed. Having said that, I think you have to go back before

16th edition before that conformed, and this is something I would bring to current standards.

Secondly, unless you are already very experienced at electrical soldering, I would suggest using crimps. Crimping is likely to produce a more reliable result in less experienced hands, providing you are using a proper ratchet crimper and do a few practice goes first on offcuts, and make sure you can't pull them apart and the conductor is clamped firmly.

If you are _very_ experienced at electrical soldering, then a way to do this is to use a standard screw terminal junction box as normal, and afterwards solder each terminal and its conductors together. This is not trivial because the T&E insulation won't stand soldering temperatures with any stress on it, such as bends near the terminal, or pressing on anything (other wires, box edge). Also you'll need a powerful iron (50W absolute min) or you'll take too long heating the metal and cause too much damage to the insulation. Make sure the box itself is made of thermosetting plastic (non-melting) -- the circular ones are normally OK.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

John Rumm laid this down on his screen :

Rather than try to twist them together, which with 2.5mm will be difficult, overlap the two ends then bind with some small diameter copper wire (30amp fuse wire?), then solder. I would also suggest offsetting the three joints so they don't all occur at the same place so the bulk is reduced.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Thanks John, this is exactly the way I would have tackled it, being an electronics engineer. However what concerned me is that the heatshrink sleeving is normally very thin, certainly much thinner than the cable sheath. I'm concerned that this would fail an electrical inspection. Any thoughts?

Reply to
clangers_snout

Thanks Andrew, I am pretty good at soldering so it should not be a problem. I had thought of binding the cores with 5A fuse wire before soldering, the cores should then fit in the terminal box OK, and could be also screwed, a bit like a belt and braces approach, but when I got the soldering iron out to do it, I realised that I had turned the power off and hadn't got any power to do the soldering, so it was placed on the to do list :-) I will have to run an extension from the garage to get it soldered, before nailing down the floorboards.

Reply to
Harry Stottle

With a couple of pairs of pliers, twisting 2.5mm^2 inline is actually quite doable - just make sure you start with enough length of wire.

Yup, staggering the joints helps.

Reply to
John Rumm

Heatshrink IME is a little thinner - but also a bit tougher. It certainly withstands 500V testing with an insulation resistance tester. If you are particularly concerned there is nothing to stop you using two layers. The main thing is to ensure the joint itself does not have any sharp protrusions like wisps of solder or wire ends poking out.

Presumably if you are soldering, then it is in a place where it can't be inspected in future anyway!

Reply to
John Rumm

Crimps will join 2 cables end to end without any overlap, they aren't suited to adding a branch.

Reply to
Mike Clarke

Harry Stottle coughed up some electrons that declared:

Looks kosher enough.

The trick is to give the wires a bloody good pull after crimping. If they don;t come out you're winning.

Good insulated crimpers will give you a double crimp on each go - that's something to check for too.

Reply to
Tim S

Soldering iron and solder. Was it a trick question or are you genuinely stupid?

Reply to
Clive

What kind of solder? There seems to be more choice in this post lead era.

Reply to
Graham.

I always use 60/40 tin/lead solder. Something with a flux core, and a eutectic melting profile. I usually get a fairly fine solder for electronics work (say 22 swg) and hence would use that - however if I were buying it for the purpose, then would go for a heavier gauge.

Reply to
John Rumm

Eh? Dead easy with ordinary combination pliers.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

dangerous advice. Soldering works fine, but has one weakness that catches people out: the solder is very soft and weak, and cant tolerate movement. It is therefore essential that the wires to be soldered are completely immobilised. You cant achieve that by wrapping them with fusewire, twisting is the logical thing - BUT - twist them twice as long as looks solid, else they're liable to fail.

TBH if you need instructions on soldering, dont do it. Its a fine method if done right, but its so easy to screw up and leave a dangerous joint behind. I've seen so many failures, thankfully at low powers.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

On Sun, 10 May 2009 23:10:48 +0100, "Graham." had this to say:

It's only places like Maplins that no longer sell real Pb/Sn solder. Even B&Q sell the real thing...

Reply to
Frank Erskine

On Sun, 10 May 2009 23:30:22 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)" had this to say:

But the OP was asking about _soldering_ :-)

Reply to
Frank Erskine