What's the best way to unblock shower wastepipe and keep it clear

I guess this must be a fairly common problem.
I have a shower and the waste pipe starts under the shower tray and makes its way around the edge of the en-suite batheroom to the waste pipe. This means the gradient is only a few centimetres over a length of about 3 metres (with a coulpe of 90 degree turns).
Our first shower lasted many years before the waste started to block, but this one has been in less than a year and the water is already beginning to slow creating a stagnant smell. It not blocked but there is obviously an obstruction is starting to develop.
For the most part the waste pipe is inaccessible as it has been boxed in.
I was wondering if there are any great products or tools out there for cleaning out the waste and keeping it that way - I'm assume an auger will have a difficult time navigating the tight bends.
My wife bought some liquid 'unblocker' from the supermarket. I have put that down but not hopeful as I can't imagine why it won't just run down into the drains before it can do any good.
Thanks for the help.
Nigel
"Nigel Heather the-heathers.co.uk>" wrote:

I have a similar problem with the drain in a ground-floor bathroom in that it begins to block every 3 or 4 months due to being mostly horizontal over its 3 metre run. I just poor caustic soda solution down the bath and sink plugholes, leave it for a few hours, then apply alternating pressure and suction on the bath plug hole with a sink plunger. That has always worked for me.
On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 22:57:27 +0100, Nigel Heather wrote:

==================================One of these, but buy from B & Q if you've got a local:
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp ;jsessionid=GNGOGSLD0LHDWCSTHZOSFFA?id325&ts8444
If you don't want the expense, buy a length of curtain wire (type used for net curtains) and fit a small hook on the end. Hang on to it in use or you might lose it.
Cic.
--
===================================
Using Ubuntu Linux

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp ;jsessionid=GNGOGSLD0LHDWCSTHZOSFFA?id325&ts8444
Why do you suggest buying from B&Q - is it just to save on P&P or is there some other reason.
I ask because I have a local ScrewFix and B&Q stores so P&P isn't an issue for me.
Cheers,
Nigel
On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 20:39:23 +0100, Nigel Heather wrote:

=================================No, just P & P. I like Screwfix and use them quite often but I don't buy single low cost items there as Mail Order.
Cic.
--
Using Ubuntu Linux

up and I put away the auger drain unblocker that lived permanently in the shower room as it was no longer needed. I suspect the soft water generates less "scum" which is the cause of the blockages.