Wetwalls

Just discovered a load of rain damage to an outside wall on an upper floor. The guttering had come away and when it rained the water streamed down the wall and seeped through into the inside of the house. (1890s built).
I had the guttering repaired but now I'm waiting for the wall to dry before stripping the rest of the wallpaper. Some of the plaster has come away and the rest around the damp area feels hollow.
I intend to wait a couple of weeks to get the wall dried then patch the holes where the plaster has come away. The hollow plaster I intend to deal with by drilling a series of small holes about 200mm apart and injecting a thin solution of plaster. I've done this on other walls where the plaster has had a hollow sound to it and it seems to have solidified it and sealed it back to the brickwork. The difference is the plaster then had been dry. This has been soaked.
Does anyone have any knowledge of whether this is a reasonable way of fixing the problem or am I faced with stripping the whole lot off and replastering?
On 31/03/2010 15:14, Rainman wrote:

You may find dilute PVA to be a better product to inject than plaster - easier as well. I would have thought you'd need the plaster reasonably dry first.
Rob Graham
On Wed, 31 Mar 2010 17:03:51 +0100, Rob Graham

Hadn't thought of that. It was actually a liquified polyfilla type filler I used.

I was more concerned about whether the damp may have caused a chemical change in the plaster that would require it to be renewed
On 31/03/2010 18:05, Rainman wrote:

I would have expected that.
On Wed, 31 Mar 2010 23:22:10 +0100, Rob Graham

Well I have gouged out all the loose stuff and the rest seems fairly solid. It's an area of about 2 sq M.

The plaster is directly onto the brick

Internal but plastered onto the brick

Loadsa damp :( But it *is* drying out

Well we have never had any up to now and that only because the guttering was damaged by the recent heavy snowfall

No salt. What was loose and crumbly I've cleared off. The rest has ahollow sound which means it isn't adhering to the brickwork. Provided the plaster structure is sound then the injection of a thin coat into the plaster to wick it's way through will cure hold it
You might want to think about a waterproof sand and cement layer direct to the masonary as a scratch coat. It's very tempting to spread hardcoat plaster on I know as its' so easy, the downside is that if damp penetrates the wall the plaster will act as a sponge. a waterproof render coat will stop it.
AJ