welding mask

What are the best. Goggles are a welding mask. And also, can you see through the lense before you make contact? I have purchased a arc welder, and I'm just in the process of learning the fine art. i only have a hand held mask at the moment and can't see very much unless i make contact. The reason i ask is that i have seen them on eBay and some look like a clear lense, and they say they are auto darkening... also the goggles are the same but flip up lense.. thanks kris.......

==========================Repeating my advice from an earlier thread (20/09/06) ...................
Whether you use a full-face mask or a hand-held have it FULLY in front of your face BEFORE you strike the arc. There is no safe interval for viewing the arc without the mask.
Practise striking an arc by dragging the end of the rod lightly along the surface of the weld material so that it strikes a series of sparks which will be enough to show you where to start welding.
Goggles are not suitable for arc welding - they're for gas (i.e. oxyacetylene welding). The flash from arc welding is as strong as strong sunlight and can easily burn you in the same way. Cover your face fully with the mask and cover your hands, arms and any other exposed skin.
Cic.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I am using the free version of SPAMfighter for private users. It has removed 1288 spam emails to date. Paying users do not have this message in their emails. Try SPAMfighter for free now!

I use a cheapo auto-darkening helmet from ebay for my mig welding. It's sooo much better than having to have 1 hand free to flip the lense down. Easy to see the work before striking the arc, then darkens to a perfect level for seeing the weld as it happens.
Recommended.
--

Tony Bond / UncleFista

www.bradford7.co.uk
Tony Bond (UncleFista) wrote:

The ones I have seen are around the 100GBP figure.
Whilst a quick "nod" is fine for bringing the shield forward when my head is roughly upright - it can be very difficult when welding lying on my back under a neighbour's tractor..
It's a shame that the cheapest welders, the coated rod type, are also probably the hardest to get good results from. MIG is soo much easier (other than on thick stuff).. and TIG for thin and non-ferrous is like falling off a bicycle..
--
Sue

I think me an you might have a different idea on what "cheapo" means ;) My helmet was less than 30 and they're even cheaper now :)
--

Tony Bond / UncleFista

www.bradford7.co.uk

special offers. An auto helmet makes a *huge* difference to the ease of welding.
--
Chris Green

snipped-for-privacy@isbd.co.uk wrote:

I hadn't realised that cheap(er) ones were available - the standard catalogues all list them at around the 100GBP mark.
Using a flip helmet whilst working on the bench is easy enough. But not when you have to crawl under something to weld it, or are working on something low down, or in a confined space, or when it is windy, or when a couple of you are welding at the same time, or...
This group is a great help!
--
Sue

that matter flame welding or cutting if you have much to do, prolonged exposure to flames can feel almost as bad at times. I occasionally get caught often when tacking things together and its not too pleasant. if you can afford it get one of the auto darkening helmets they are the dogs.