Weeds/moss and block paving.

Some years ago I decided to replace my poor-condition concrete driveway and after pondering the alternatives, I went for block paving. I did consider patterned concrete - but I've seen so many of these driveways ruined by poor application of the colour/resin coating that I didn't want a similar botch-up.
I still prefer the look of block paving but the constant problem of moss and weeds growing up between the joints is a real pain in the neck.
Anyone got any long-lasting solutions for this problem?
--
Kev

No.
Mr Pounder

Mr Pounder wrote:

LOL! Ah well...
--
Kev

:-)))))))))))))))))))
On 12/10/2010 11:56, Ret. wrote:

I had block paving at the last house. I used to strim the weeds off, and let the moss grow. It wouldn't take in the wear areas anyway.
Andy

Annual cleaning and re-sanding combined with Pathclear. Re-fill any gaps arising between cleans with kiln-dried sand.
Chris R

Yes, that's my usual maintenance process. I'm beginning to wish that I had gone for patterned concrete... !
--
Kev

responding to http://www.homeownershub.com/diy/Weeds-moss-and-block-paving-23151-.htm blockpaving wrote: If you have any kind of block paving either keep on top by weedkilling or why not have a sealer applied
Ret. wrote:

-------------------------------------

message

The problem is not usually the blocks themselves but the gaps between them, which are filled with sand, which can't be sealed. A persistent weedkiller like Pathclear works, though.
Chris R
Chris R wrote:

Actually the sealant is supposed to soak into the sand and cause it to bond together. It doesn't appear to have worked on my neighbours drive-way however - which is as mossy and weedy as mine was (I cleaned it today).
For anyone who wants to pressure-wash their block paving driveway, I would strongly recommend one of these:
(Amazon.com product link shortened)P5ROKL5A1OLE&tag=googlecouk06-21&linkCode=asn&creative"206&creativeASIN00OS2D44
It cleans a treat and blasts moss and weeds out from the cracks without all the muck spraying back in your face! The two rotating spray heads under the plastic cover give a very strong spray that cleans the dirty blocks up a treat and the ring of bristles around the cover, stop water and dirt spraying back up at you.
--
Kev

blockpaving wrote:

My neighbours across the road sealed their block paving with Screwfix sealant. It hasn't made the slightest difference! They gave their drive a good two coats too.
--
Kev

Just keep spraying with weed killer. A pressure wash will blow all of the fine sand out and you will have to replace it. I fought the weeds in my block paving for 18 years and lost. You are doomed!!!!
Mr Pounder

Mr Pounder wrote:

Eventually the sand becomes contaminated with general muck (particularly if you wash your car on your drive) so it's best every few years to blast out all the crap from between the blocks and then, after allowing it to dry, brush in fresh kiln-dried sand. A bag isn't expensive and it goes a long way!
--
Kev

You Are Doomed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just accept it man!!!!!!!!
Mr Pounder