Water temperature much too high

Hello, we've just moved into a house, and the hot water temperature is very very hot, ie 70 degrees celcius out the kitchen tap, which is quite dangerous, I have looked in the airing cupboard at the boiler and the only dial that I can see, doesn't seem to change anything.
As I'm sure you can guess, I'm a layman with such things, any idea how I can proceed in sorting this out and getting a water temperature that wont scold my family?
Regards William McIntyre

My gas central heating boiler has a temperature control dial marked as follows, OFF, LOW, 1, 2, 3, 4, HIGH. Our water temp is fine with it set on 2, giving an average of about 62 degrees straight from the boiler. If you have a thermostat strapped to your hot water cylinder the usual setting for that is 60 degrees. If turning the boiler temperature control dial down doesn't work then it sounds like a fault with that part of the boiler, but I aint no plumber. I had the opposite problem, water not getting hot enough, and it needed a new sensor and cable. It would help to know the make of boiler/type of system.

Could it be that there is a stop cock either on the inlet to the boiler or the hot water outlet. If there is, try opening it a little to allow water to flow through the boiler a little faster.
--
the_constructor

     snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com writes:

What sort of boiler do you have? (make/model would be useful) Is it a combi which fires up when you turn the hot tap on, or does your hot water come from a hot water cylinder which the boiler has heated up previously?
--
Andrew Gabriel

any idea how

I doubt that the water temperature will tell any of your family members off :-) (sorry, couldn't resist)
gavin wrote:

rotfl
Hi Have you a secondary heating source?? Most pre 80's properties have an electric immersion heater as a secondary heat er for hot water check the hot water tank for a circular heater about 3" dia if so remove the cover (turn off first) and turn down the stat .(or turn it off) If not look on the cylinder for a stat about 2"x1" with a wire coming from it strapped onto said cylinder. Again adjust as needed. If you have a combi boiler it will have a seperate hot water control on the panel.
HTH CJ