Water Leak Has Stained Ceiling

Hi, we had a leaking tank, just small dripping over a few weeks, but the plasterboard ceiling has become yellowed now on the underside. The ceiling of the room below the leak is painted. We have attempted to hide the yellow stain by painting over it a number of times, butthe discolouration returns after a few weeks. Please does anyone have any tips for getting rid of the problem once an for all?
Don

weeks before painting it. You should also have some sort of mould killer applied to the surface first, then apply a good coat of paint on top of it.
You can use size on the area affected. This kills any mould spores and also creates a sticky surface to hold the paint. Have a look through your local DIY store for "Size", which normally comes in a packet like wallpaper paste, or in a box like polyfilla. But it should say "Anti-Fungicide" on the packet.
Another good cleaner of this type of staining is "Sugar Soap". This too has an anti-fungicide to help clean any spores off the surface before painting.
But the plaster will still be wet for a long time, so leave it for a couple weeks, especially in this warm weather, before you clean it and re-paint.
Make a claim on your building insurance policy.
| Hi, we had a leaking tank, just small dripping over a few weeks, but the | plasterboard ceiling has become yellowed now on the underside. The ceiling | of the room below the leak is painted. We have attempted to hide the yellow | stain by painting over it a number of times, butthe discolouration returns | after a few weeks. Please does anyone have any tips for getting rid of the | problem once an for all? | | Don | |

Use an oil-based undercoat to seal it, then overpaint with emulsion. Cheers Gilbert

Cheers Gilbert

:O) Gilbert

LOL. But you were correct first time.
Adam

pipe insulation and dripped into airing cupboard. Leave to dry for ages (actually quite quick in airing cupboard) and paint with stain blocking paint (B&Q) then normal emulsion. Works fine.
Try B.I.N stain killer ammonia based bit smelly but covers any stain up
--
Yours
Jason