Water Hammer Surge Supressor

I need something to add to my water pipes to stop the loud 'bang' when the dishwasher inlet valve suddenly shuts or when someone closes a tap quickly. I believe there are small air vessels that can be fitted to water pipes:

  1. Who sells these?
  2. Are they effective?
  3. On what part of the system (i.e. inlet stoptap, last takeoff on system) should they be fitted for best effect?
Reply to
Steve

Have you tried turning the cold water mains inlet stop tap down a shade.

Reply to
Stickems.

In article , Steve writes

, item 11355, 11quid +vat +post

Sometimes :-)

Near the source of the shock, except when it shouldn't be, or near the stopcock, except when it shouldn't be, or near any other volume reducing restriction in your pipework, except . . . . oh I'm sure you get the idea . . .

What I'm trying to say is yes they can be effective, but placement can be problematic for full effectiveness. In the case where you have a single item turning off quickly and causing a shock wave, then placing the arrestor on the fixed pipework within a foot of the dishwasher connection will probably be effective. Placing it at the stopcock may also be effective and has the advantage that it should arrest shock waves from other taps/appliances.

They are normally the solution of last resort so before trying one I would tightly fix all pipework in the (kitchen) area with pipe clips to see if the problem is reduced and as Stickems said, try turning down the stop c*ck a tad.

HTH

Reply to
fred

Would it even be possible to make something myself i.e. a pipe upstand with air in it?

Reply to
Steve

I would think something like what you're suggesting would be a better idea. Unless those contraptions have a bladder they'll fill up with water eventually.

You could build something that may end up being more expensive depending on materials used. But you could design it to be able to be drained. Which would probably limit where you put it.

Short answer: Yes. :)

Reply to
Olaf

In article , Steve writes

It'll work for a while but air is soluble in water under pressure so your bubble will disappear and the problem will return.

Reply to
fred

Reply to
MikeS

With great respect - What a load of rubbish!

Reply to
Steve