water damage

I have some water damage to 2 lathe and plaster ceilings in my house caused by the fire brigade putting out a fire in the next door property. The ceilings are intact with a few bubbles here and there. The building contractor assigned said I have 2 choices either to rip the whole ceiling down or put plaster board over the existing lathe and plaster ceilings. The ceiling joists are 3x2 would this take the weight of the lathe and plaster and the plasterboard bearing in mind the previous water damage.
cheers Jon_H
Taking down old lath and plaster ceilings is really, really messy, the dust gets every where. It's not just the ceiling mess, it's also all the crap lurking between the joists. By overtacking with a new ceiling you obviously cut out the mess and if done properly will be okay. The 3X2 joists should take it alright as you are fixing it over many joists.
ken

cheers Ken I had a Google around and their seems to be pro's and con's to either method I'll stick with the overboarding to save on the mess.
cheers Jon_H

Personally, I would certainly go that route if someone else's insurance is paying for their damage. It should also cover clearing up the mess.
--
Andrew Gabriel

Jon_H wrote:

you useful storage space above, perhaps?
Irrespective of the water damage, if the joists date back to when lathe and plaster was in vogue, what condition were/are they in anyway?
Of course it will make a God-awful mess. But you don't have to clean it up.
--
Sue

My insurance is paying for all this as the old bloke next door isn't insured !!!. the ceiling joists are in good nick and seem fairly stable or so the council buildings inspector said. I had him take a look when he came round to inspect the neighbours property for damage/loose stuff that could fall into the street.
I basically want it sorted in the shortest possible time I may even board it myself and claim the money back as the builder can't start for at least another 2 weeks, I'll punch a nail through up above either side of the joists and mark the centres on the wall. I'll get them to plaster the ceiling though as it isn't one of my strong points.
cheers Jon_H

But don't expect your insurance company to compensate you for your time if you do it yourself. I've been out of pocket twice by trying to save 'them' some money - next time I'm going to instruct the best builder I can!! I only wanted 25 for a days work.
peter
I took down a lath & plaster ceiling in my front room in August 15ft x 10ft - Edwardian - JSH had caused much cracking + extention with cross joists.
Gaffer taped the door and took a window out - 30 rubble bags - 1/2 day with mate. Plastic sheet on floor to scoop up rubbish - industrial vac cleaner.
Used disposable togs & masks.
Dont know what the fuss was about.!
Considered insulation ove extention + vertical space lost with battern & plasterboard
Cojack