Wasps nest in our loft

Page 1 of 2

Whats the most effective way of dealing with a wasps nest in our loft ?
TIA,
Cg...

Be careful & cover yourself well if you're tackling it yourself...(my advice - get an expert in)
Standard anti-ant (& wasp) powder from Wilko's and the like is all you need. Locate the entry hole and puff generously into it (using a lance if poss, and from a distance if poss). Wasps will emerge rapidly & have a go at you if you are near. If they emerge white (covered in the powder), it's working OK. Within a few minutes you should see some of the (whitened) varmints lying on the ground. Job done.
If you actually want to remove the nest (once there's no sign of activity of course) you may be able to remove it entire from within the loft if you can get to it, otherwise you may need to just destroy it by breaking it up. I understand they don't usually return to an 'old' nest though.
Maybe other responders will have more expert advice - mine is based on having 3 wasps nests in the loft over several years. I have a healthy respect for wasps now & keep out of their way!
Good luck.

Leaving it alone. If they are entering via some broken/missing building material, repair it at the end of the season when they've all died.
If for some reason you must get rid of it (as has happened in the case of a couple of nests I had), you might have a read of http://groups.google.com/group/uk.d-i-y/msg/9261cea3bf5b523c?dmode=source for my way of dealing with it.
--
Andrew Gabriel

Mary will be along in a minute to tell you to leave the dear little waspies alone, and probably to feed them too!
Others will have real ideas...in my case I just bought some proprietary wasp nest treatment.

Not just Mary. There are many of us that object to senseless killing.
> Others will have real ideas...in my case I just bought some proprietary

How about leaving them alone?
--
AJL

On Sat, 3 Sep 2005 12:39:16 UTC, "Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)"

Because I didn't want to.

That's why someone might come along and throw a brick through your windows, daub swear words on your wall, and successfully call for the police when you threaten them.
So do you have a better reason than mindless vandals?
On Sat, 3 Sep 2005 15:18:05 UTC, John Cartmell

Yes...just because I don't want to share it, doesn't make it any less valid.

windows,
you
What are you blathering on about? And how is it relevant to the issue at hand?
@ntlworld.com says...

See something, take a dislike to it, decide to smash it up (or kill it). Or maybe you're just bored and fancy a bit of wanton destruction.

I tried various methods for a wasps nest in a restricted area of my loft. The only method which really worked was to spray Nippon powder (for ants) around the area that they entered the loft space
--
geoff

says...

Ignore it - they'll be gone in a few weeks.

Not really an option if the nest entrance is immediately above a young kid's fanlight window & the wasps lose their way and fly into the bedroom all the time... As was the case with us.
@ntlworld.com says...

So stick a bug screen across the window - that will keep any bug out, not just a few wasps.
says...

kid's
the
Yes, I suppose that would have been an option, but not the one we preferred at that time. Chacun a son gout. The OP asked how to deal with wasps, not how to live in harmony with them.
Pete Jenkins wrote:

If it's been there all summer, and he's only just noticed, it can't be causing that kind of problem.
I ignored the one on our house - until the neighbours told us they kept getting lost into their baby's bedroom.
Andy

Last night, I was sitting on the toilet, trousers around my ankles, suffering and attack of diaror...diahorrore....the trots. When i was able to stand, I flushed, and pulled up said trousers, only to be stung on the thigh by a lethargic wasp which had come in thruogh the bathroom window, and settled on my waistband. I killed - sorry -murdered the wasp on the spot, and called my wife, asking her to suck the poison out immediately. "Not on your life!" was her sympathetic reply, ansd she proceeded to dab the reddening sting with vinegar, which did not help in the slightest. Now, I had been minding my own business, so to speak, when this thug attacked, so I am all in favour of getting rid of the buggers on sight. As it happened, I dropped the corpse into the toilet bowl, and my second attack of di.....trots a few minutes later resulted in poetic justice on the head of the wasp. I now check carefully every time I go in, and before pulling trousers up - after all, a couple of inches to the right, and the wife wouldn't even have applied vinegar, let alone..........
ZD
On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 20:07:47 GMT, Zipadee Doodar wrote:

Hang on, you attacked it first by trying to crush it between your trousers and thigh. It retaliated in the only way it could by stinging, indeed that tactic worked (for a while).
BTW I don't blame you for killing that one but the wanton destruction of a whole nest this late in the season is just silly. A few weeks time an it'll be dead. And how come this nest has only just become a "problem" it'll have been there since late spring...
--
Cheers snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

To what extent was this caused by attempted swatting of wasps that made one retaliate? Be honest.