Washing machine help

Our old Zanussi washing machine isn't turning. It fills and empties at correct time, but the drum doesn't move. However, the drum turns freely and the motor is getting voltage and will turn if the belt is off. Would worn out carbon motor brushes do this? What else should I look at?
Thanks for any ideas/suggestions
Duncan
Could well be the brushes if you're getting voltage to the motor, especially as you say 'our old zanussi'. Sometimes a winding can go but this can cause the motor to partially work. It shouldn't be too difficult a job to remove the old brushes to see if this is the cause.

Thanks to all who posted & e-mailed answers. Brushes are so worn there's metal showing through the carbon!
Duncan
found this site to be really good fro washing machines http://www.ukwhitegoods.co.uk /