washing machine drain

I have found that every so often I have to dismantle and clean the part of the drain between the discharge hose and the sink drain.A soapy gunge collects there.Now I say to myself if it collects there does it also collect in the discharge hose.It is quite an operation to get at this hose for cleaning,can anyone tell me,do I really need to?or does the force of the water from the pump keep this clear. I have suggested ,note suggested,to wife that she does a really hot wash at times in an attempt to keep the gunge to a minimum

Reply to
tab

Yes, the drain hose can block completely with lime scale and soap residue. In my experience the force of the water when pumping out does not loosen the scale. Running a really hot wash periodically and putting washing machine descaling crystals in the drum a few times a year will help to loosen the scale, but I have had a blocked drain hose even after doing that. As you say, it is difficult to clean the inside of the drain hose.

Reply to
Phil Anthropist

Thanks phil,I suppose we are fortunate where I live,we do not get the limescale like in the south.I remember it in the kettles etc when in the navy.One day i will have a look at hose,wife wont be happy until I do.

Reply to
Tab