Wall mounted gas fire

I have asked for help over fitting a wall mounted gas fire with a balanced flue in my living room, and I'm now back for more help.

I had my local "gas safe" fitter in to inspect the wall and the gas source.

The wall I want to fit the fire is on the same wall as the gas meter but 6 metres away. There is no problem with that he said, but the problem is in venting the fumes away from the fire.

At the back of the wall, where I want the fire fitted, is the garage. So the vent pipe would need to make a nintey degree bend and go up through the garage roof. He said this can't be done because none of the fire manufacturers make a venting kit to suit this problem.

This does strike me as very strange, and I did wonder if maybe this is a job that is not too his liking, thus his advice.

Has anyone on this NG any advice or information that would help me in this situation?

A search on Google came up with lots of ninety degree balanced flue bends, but whether or not they would be suitable I just don't know.

Peter

Reply to
Peter James

You will not find a balanced flue elbow/kit for your fire other than what the munufacturer supplies or reccomends.

Consult the manufacturers instructions supplied with the fire, fitting any type of flue parts, extensions etc not reccomended by them could cause the fire to malfunction and and would most likely be dangerous.

As far as I know it is not possible to extend an unfanned room sealed flue.

Heliotrope Smith

In article , Heliotrope Smith writes

I searched for long flue gas fires when the o/p first posted and found a few that quoted a max flue length of around 4m. I assumed these would be fan assisted and guess they would be possibles for this installation.

The advice to check manufacturers' installation instructions is sound as they quote chapter and verse (with helpful diagrams) on where and where not their products and their flues can be installed.

O/p needs to search for long flued gas fires (details probably mentioning fan assisted balanced/room-sealed flues), download the installation instructions and look for installation scenarios that match your situation.

Once you get to a shortlist, feel free to post back with fire makes and models with links to installation instructions and with some pics of your outside wall/garage posted on

to get more advice.

Reply to
fred