VELUX Window fitting

Hi, Has anyone ever fitted their own Velux roof window? and... can anyone advise on how easy / difficult it was / is? And the processes involved? I'm pretty good in all aspects of building work, but this is somethin' I'm a bit wary of! Cheers all! Tom Cunningham. Plumber.

Reply to
Tommy

Keep an eye on the weather forecast for a dry day. then follow the instructions in the box. Make sure you get the correct flashing kit. EDZ for tiles and EDL for slate. Make sure the carcass frame is square. Use 4" or

100mm screws to for fastening timbers, not nail, screws are easier to undo.
Reply to
keith_765

Fitted two so far without any real problems,best of all the advice keith gave which i would totally agree with is watch the weather forcast.If your not a pro then forget this time of year.Leave it until maybe late spring when you get a run of 3 good days just incase you run into problems (also means you can take your time if its the first time and dont make mistakes rushing before the rain starts!).Also get a friend to help with lifting and adjusting as it can be a bit tricky.

Good luck,

JB

Reply to
Jonbhoy

I've fitted a couple - both on slate roofs, which I would think a tiny bit more problematic than tiles. It is not that difficult, but I would endorse everything said previously - especially about picking a couple of dry days. Both of the ones I fitted I completed in a day - although it was summer, and a longish day.

I did mine 5 or 6 years ago and the only tricky bit I remember was fitting the window itself into the installed frame - as the previous poster said, a bit of help at this stage would be safer. Also, refitting the slates or tiles around the window after installation can be a bit fiddly with the cutting required. If you are reasonably competent it shouldn't be a problem - like you, I felt a bit apprehensive but it's fairly straightforward.

Good luck.

Reply to
Farmer Giles

I have fitted one, it was all new to me, and I was very wary about cutting a hole in the roof and removing 12 inches square concrete tiles. I agree with all the previous replies regarding the weather, following the fitting instructions and getting help to lift the window into the frame. There are some basic instructions here:

Reply to
Codswallop