Using interior paint outside...

I'm planning to paint the perimeter wall of my house, which is unfinished grey render at the moment. As it will need one or two undercoats, I wondered if interior emulsion would do, as I've got about 15 litres of this I dont need. I'm then planning to finish with Johnstones exterior masonry paint. Would cheapo interior paint do as an undercoat to seal the render? I've also got about 3 litres of water seal I could add to the paint to help it seal the render. Shame just to throw this unsused stuff out.

Cheers

James

Reply to
James

I would ask the makers of the paint. They will be the only people who can give you a definitive answer.

Having said that, they'll probably tell you that it won't be any good. If they said it would be OK (to use it for an application for which it was not made) you'd have a go at them if it all fell off in a year or two's time.

I would, personally, not use an interior paint for an exterior job.

Rob Graham

Reply to
Rob graham

Bad idea! The render is best sealed with a product for this purpose. i.e something that will soak in & bind the surface. Also, interior emulsion will not withstand the humidity experienced outside. Remember, a topcoat is only as good as what is underneath!!

You dont have to throw the stuff out, there are paint recycling schemes...

diypaint

Thanks for the advice

Cheers

James