Urgent paint problem...

The new carpet we had put down last week, has got a white undercoat drip on it, size of 10 p peice, hubby has dabbed at it with water, while I was out, its still there, I'm wondering if we put turps on it will make it worse ? its plain light green carpet.
thanks
Sheila wrote:

Is the paint waterbased or oilbased - and has the paint dried?
If it's dried, then solvent isn't going to shift it.
If it's still wet - then if the water hasn't moved it, then it's odds-on that it's oil based so try turps on a clean, white cloth and gently rub t - frequently using a clean part of the cloth.

I know it sounds mad but baby wipes are brilliant for cleaning up dirty marks and stains :-)
kate
Kate Morgan wrote:

MIght have a bit of a problem shifting dried (or oil based, wet) paint on the carpet though Kate! ;-)
Great for shifting light grease off the old hands though, and I always keep a small pack in the car for that reason.
Falco

Got it off,. got a bit of turps and it moved it.... glad it wasn't me that did it....
Sheila wrote:

I'm glad that you resolved it Sheila, and tell the 'other half' that he was lucky - a friend of mine went one better and tipped 5 litres of oil based gloss on his almost new carpet and his SWMBO was not very pleased at all!
Falco
Falco wrote:

Same thing happened to a friend of mine many years ago. Worse, they were the painters and decorators in a posh new house........ with brand new carpet.
His tip - oil. Water or oil-based, grab the nearest oil, well not used engine oil, that would be silly. Soya, olive, whatever. Douse the disaster. The oil will also be a problem to clean up but not half as bad as paint. Lots of old towels and rags, the oil-absorbing stuff you use on barbecues, eventually a carpet detergent, meanwhile open something smelly and tell the owners the fumes are toxic and they can't come in!
A L P

I hope you give him a good slap for dropping paint on your new carpet. Turps always removes paint, so does paint thinner as I have just done something similar.
Sheila wrote:

Should have tried the old blow torch first
Sheila wrote:

Household ammonia will shift dried emulsion. Cellulose thinners will shift almost anything else (possibly even the colour of the carpet, so test in a secluded place).
Rob Graham
On 27/12/2009 18:31, Sheila wrote:

Polycell Paint Brush Restorer/Cleaner. Even when dried off, leaving no tell-tale staining. Works for me every time,
ooops
On 04/01/2010 19:50, saka wrote:

I am curious, I appriciate that you have now cleand the paint spillage, could you tell me what you used to remove hubbys blood stains? ;-)
On 05/01/2010 19:42, John wrote:

A passing SOCO ;-)