uPVC or wood?

Page 2 of 2

What are we talking about here? Picture frames, spectacles, Door frames? Or are we supposed to psychic?

Just a small point but think 'resaleability' for the future.
Personally I prefer uPVC frames as they are virtually maintenance free - plus I detest painting frames or anything else come to think of it.
When I was was househunting, a couple of otherwise suitable properties were ruled out as they had wood frames on the windows.
As I was already on a budget with the house purchase I could not have afforded to replace the windows and I had no desire to fork out for painting them nor to do the actual work.
Most housebuyers would never consider it - however in today's busy times people want things to be as maintenance free as possible.
sarah

Is NT as good as XP?
Martin wrote:

re-stain every 2 years keeps them looking lovely.
Interesting comment on the use of 'real timber' given a recent announcement from Jeld-Wen who are moving to laminated timber for all there window products.
Most timber used in crappy windows and doors is cheap old fast grown pine, which used outdoors painted or not rots in no time. Joinery made with Douglas fir or next grade up lasts a lot longer. You get what you pay for.
ken

I have been in the window industry all my life some 32 years as a working man. mostly as a window fitter and recenly as a service engineer.
Jeld-Wen are responsible for manufacturing the most atrocious frames i have ever encountered .
IMO PVC is fine if it is A Manufactured properly B Fitted properly
If you want a really good looking PVC frame get a look at a Decurnick window.
I have no direct link with that company and my opinion is unbiased from the point of view that i service all makes and models from Ali swing doors in schools shops and restaurants etc to more upvc Window ,Patio and Resi Door Frames than i care to mention.
hello
I have tried to find the Decurnick window on google but no luck......................can you point me to a web site??
thanks
Barry

Colin Brook - Winchester (UK)
mailto: snipped-for-privacy@cbassoc.demon.co.uk
Thanks Colin
but that link doesn't work.......the elusive strangely spelled windows :) not sure what the name is now
Barry

http://www.deceuninck.com what browser are you using?
Regards,
--
Colin Brook - Winchester (UK)
mailto: snipped-for-privacy@cbassoc.demon.co.uk
Hi Colin just hit your link..and its says on windows internet explorer "page cannot be found...strange ?
Barry

http://www.deceuninck.com
I do agree with others that it's a pretty awful site but I wasn't judging its quality - merely giving the information that I had.
I have a conservatory with Deceuninck profile and am very pleased with it.
Regards, Colin
--
Colin Brook - Winchester (UK)
mailto: snipped-for-privacy@cbassoc.demon.co.uk