Type C breakers

In the past I have installed type C MCBs on circuits where large motors would normally trip standard Type B MCBs during start up. Eg in workshops and garages belonging to woodworkers.
I recently went to get one to fit a Volex CU and see that Volex and a few other suppliers are only supplying Type C overload protection in RCBO breakers. Trouble it Type C MCBs are about 4-5 and RCBOs are nearer 30!
Anyone know why Type C breakers are disappearing? Is it to do with a regulation change? if so why are other makes still supplying Type C MCBs?
Anyone from the trade know what is going on please?
Secondary question which other makes of MCBs fit Volex CUs
Cheers
Bob

Type C are normally used in commercial/industrial situations, so you'll have more luck if you pick a CU which is also used in commercial/industrial situations.
For home use, combining a Type C with an RCD does make some sense - it removes the more stringent earth fault fault loop impedance which would otherwise be required for a Type C, and it may be that this is something which is less likely to be checked (or even understood) by domestic electricians.
--
Andrew Gabriel

Wylex do C Type MCBs and these are usually a direct replacement for Volex MCBs.
Adam
ARWadsworth wrote:

Bob

I notice that in the TLC catalogue that it mentions some design change to Wlylex TP boards and compatability with some MCBs.
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/WYPSB20B.html
Maybe a call to Electrium (they make both Wylex and Volex) may be in order.
Tel 01543 455000 and ask to speak to the technical department.
They will not bite!
Adam
On Sun, 14 Mar 2010 16:56:23 +0000, Bob Minchin wrote:

www.electricalcomponentsdirect.co.uk
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RCBOS-6-10-16-20-32-amp-RCBO-Hager-Wylex-Replacements_W0QQitemZ260554209733QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_BOI_CircuitBreakers_RL?hash=item3caa3db9c5
http://tinyurl.com/yag33nj
Cic.