TV wall bracket hanging

I am trying to find a way of hanging my flat screen to a wall which is constructed by a plasterboard on to solid wall. Trouble is, it's not nailed on to a batten but I think it's dabbed on. There is a gap, and I have drilled holes through the plasterboard and into the solid wall a fair way.
I bought anchor bolts (I used to call them rawl bolts) but, even though they enter into the solid wall holes, when I try to secure the wall bracket, the bolts don't open out and grip inside the holes. What alternatives do I have other than buy a TV stand?
I noticed door frame plugs/screws but not sure whether they'd be safe enough.
On 21/07/2010 16:50, The Wanderer wrote:

You could cut an area of the plasterboard around each hole and fill it with Polyfilla. Then when you tighten the bolt the expander should expand because there is no longer a gap behind the plasterboard into which it is pulled.
Rob Graham

Just get some longer bolts for the anchors, the reason they wont be openeing up is the bolts arent going in far enough. depending on the size of the gap between the plasterboard and wall depends on how much longer bolls you get. You could always bold a lare piece of MDF the size of the bracket onto the wall using longer bolts as above and then screw the bracket to the MDF, gives youa bigger surface area, just paint the mdf the same colour as the wall!

Plaster board fittings are available from many outlets - B & Q for example. They are not cheap but they work very well indeed. Avoid the plastic ones.
http://shop.ebay.co.uk/items/__plasterboard+screws_W0QQ_dmdZ2?rvr_id=&crlp 84000082_228459_228460&UA=WXF%3F&GUIDcd66b912a0a0e202e2e942fe5cda03&agid78759002&MT_ID&keyword=plasterboard+screws&ff4"8459_228460

Mr Pounder

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/items/__plasterboard+screws_W0QQ_dmdZ2?rvr_id=&crlp 84000082_228459_228460&UA=WXF%3F&GUIDcd66b912a0a0e202e2e942fe5cda03&agid78759002&MT_ID&keyword=plasterboard+screws&ff4"8459_228460
fixed to studded type plasterboard as the plasterboard was not strong enough in itself to support the bracket and television. I was lucky as I managed to find a wooden batten behind the plasterboard in which I fitted 3 of the four screws. With plasterboard stuck on the walls with dabs of mortar, (leaving a half inch gap behind), I find it is best to use long screws, about 4 - 5", after making sure the rawl plugs are inserted right into the wall behind the plasterboard, and if I was hanging something heavy and expensive like a television, I would make spacers to fill the gap from the brick to the face of the plasterboard, because if this is not done, the pressure needed to get a strong fixing could cause the plasterboard to bend or crack when the screws are tightened.

I hang fire extinguishers using the plasterboard fittings in my link. They do not fall off the wall; fire extinguishers weigh 14 KG. The single bracket has screws maybe one inch apart. But, whatever makes you happy.
Mr Pounder

On 24/07/2010 21:52, Mr Pounder wrote:

The thing about a fire extinguisher is that its weight is more or less downwards. But a television bracket has a long arm holding the TV. This means that the weight carried by the top screws is more or less at 90 degrees to the wall, i.e. it's tending to pull the fixings out bodily. So the gap behind the plasterboard is a significant issue.
Rob Graham

And depending on the relative size of the wall plate and length of the arm, the force on those top screws can be much more than the weight of the TV.
--
Andrew Gabriel
On 25/07/2010 10:05, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Absolutely.
Rob
On 25/07/2010 11:15, Rob Graham wrote:

much over 50Kg) - I will get to the point soon - he fitted a swivel arm to mount his tv to the wall and to test it she sat on the end of the arm. - It was an old house and his fixings were strong, but sadly the bricks were not and they pulled the bricks out of the wall. The point is - do not underestimate the leverage the weight will apply as the load moves further out from the wall

Fair comment.
Mr Pounder

mounted television. Some 42" widescreen plasma tv's weigh about 40 kg, and if mounted on a swivel bracket, will be moved about whilst in situ, also a television costs much more, and is much better to look at. A fire extinguisher should be easily detachable from the wall, so if the fittings are weak, this could help in an emergency ;-)
On Sun, 25 Jul 2010 09:02:52 +0100, "Harry Stottle"

But if you bought the TV with the last of your credit card limit, you may want to snatch and save that first :-)
HN

"A fire

Why don't you tell me all about fire extinguishers? Tell me all about them.
Mr Pounder

You could always consider using a 100 litre wheeled AFFF unit on me :-)
Mr Pounder

responding to http://www.homeownershub.com/diy/TV-wall-bracket-hanging-22863-.htm bobarchitect39 wrote: Don't know if anyone has suggested this yet, but have you thought about hanging it from the ceiling? They make fairly unobtrusive mounts for this purpose that you could probably match to your wall color. Might save you a lot of trouble.
The Wanderer wrote: