tv/sat aerial system in a flat

i', moving into a rented flat on friday,

it has a wall plate with 2 x analouge antenna connections... usual jobbies, one for radio, other for tv, above them are 2 x F type screw in connectors, ones labled sat, the other is 'return feed' could be 'return loop' but has the word return in it.

The landlord dosent know much about the system, he just rents the place out,

i can't seem to find who built the flats, even tho they were built in 2005, but i doubt they'd be that helpfull anyway.

I know i should ask another resident, but i'm not there at the moment, and am trying to figure out what i can get for tv, broadband and phone.

with the connectors being F type, as in sattelite type connectors, could it be there's a communal sat dish on the roof? (never looked) i'm wondering about the return connection, does that need a special box to use the communal system? or could that be for something like satelite boradband?

or could it be a cable tv system? i've never had cable before, so have no idea what the connectors are like,

virgin media are looking into the posibility of me getting their services there, but can't comment if anyone else in the block has it to give me an indication if the communal system is cable or not.

i could take my sky box from the camper and try it at the flat next week, but i am worried it may blow it if it's for a cable box.

Any ideas of the type of system usually installed in blocks of flats?

Reply to
gazz

In article , gazz writes

Try asking at uk.tech.digital-tv

Reply to
fred

ta, done that now, think i've found the answer my self tho,

tis a comunal sat system, dish on roof only visable in daylight,

2nd connector most likely 2nd lnb feed, for a sky plus box that has 2 tuners, and the wall plates are just labled genericaly,

now to find a way to get sky tv and sky broadband and not have to pay the bt line rental as i dont want a phone.

Reply to
gazz

sky do the line rental too, no need to pay bt 4 anyfin :-)

Reply to
Neil - Usenet

my phone exchange is not in an LLU enabled area :( so i have to use a bt phone line, which entails the 11 quid a month line rental cost,

exchange wont be upgraded to take other providers equipment till the end of

2010, but it said in 2006 it's be available in 2008, so i'm not holding my breath.
Reply to
gazz

On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 13:03:49 -0000, a particular chimpanzee, "gazz" randomly hit the keyboard and produced:

As to who built them: check the local council's planning web pages. Most if not all councils have applications on-line, and should have the details of the applicant at least from 2005. Failing that, ring them up, or ring Building Control in the same council.

Reply to
Hugo Nebula