TV aerial splitting

Needs some help guys.
Yesterday I put a splitter from the roof aerial (which supplies downstairs) to add a connection for upstairs bedroom. Tested and all worked fine. I then added some waterproofing tape and it stopped working upstairs but down was OK - checked it out and I had broken the splitter socket that supplied upstairs.
Replaced the splitter but now both up and down receive poor signal. Thought maybe poor splitter again, so I replaced with new splitter and re-did all co-ax cable connections - still nothing up or down.
Checked loft aerial and there is still slack co-ax in loft so I do not see how I could have pulled the aerial connection.
My only thought is that the co-ax cable between aerial and splitter has been damages but not sure how.
Any ideas, before I replace the lot.
--

Baal

I smile and go off waving
Baal wrote:

Duff/crappy batch of splitters - assuming splitter 2 and 3 were the same make and model (possibly the same batch, from the same source?). Were the last two resistive splitters and the first one a low-loss type?
Try (temporarily) replacing the splitter with a straight-through to join to each of the down cables in turn. If OK and 2 and 3 were simple resistor-type, get a low loss splitter..which the first one possibly was..
--
Sue