transformer oil

Hi ALL

Anyone knows where to buy, in small quantities say 500ml, transformer oil, or any inert oil suitable for preserving ornaments in transparent containers)?

Many thanks

pl

Reply to
Pete Lodd

Its probebly appropriate to mention that anyone wishing to do this would be ill- advised to recover the oil from old transformers or other components. The PCB content might make the stuff deadly rather than inert.

Reply to
Graham

I'm not quite sure which properties of transformer oil lead you to characterise it as "inert"?

One of its most troublesome characteristics, in its normal use, is that it is hygroscopic. That is, it absorbs moisture from the atmosphere. That is why transformers have to be sealed, and the air space, to allow for expansion, connected to atmosphere via a silica gel breather.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

What I asked was some inert transparent oil to preserve some ornament in a jar for decoration, someone from a blog mentioned transformer oil. Anyway thanks for the cautionary advice.

PL

Reply to
Pete Lodd