Trade Masonary Paint ?

I need to purchase some masonry paint for the outside of the house.
On eBay I can purchased 20ltrs for 38 of trade masonry paint.
What is the difference between trade paint and household paint that you purchase from shops.
Kindest regards,
Jim
message

Usually the difference is that trade paint carries more pigment and less varnish (polyurethane) so it covers better with less coats leaving the quality of finish to the skill of the painter. DIY paint is the opposite so it may require more than one coat but will give a superb finish.
I would think the same basic rules apply to masonary paint.
--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com

It all depends on the make. The good Trade brands, Dulux, Crown, Johnstones can be relied on to be good quality, and generally better then the basic retail paint that they sell. It is more expensive though. B+Q are cheaper than Dulux trade centres, - the paint is different, and IMO it is better to buy the paint direct form the maker, rather than a slightly different mix from the retailer.
I've seen some paint for 10 for 10 litres in B+Q, I wouldnt buy it myself, as it isnt worth my time to do 2 or 3 coats of cheap paint, when one coat of good quality is better.
Alan.

On Mon, 4 Jul 2011 08:02:27 +0100, A.Lee wrote:

I'm using 2 1/2 coats of Dulux Trade. First coat thinned a little (the 1/2 but only about 5 to 10% water added), then two full strength. You can tell where there are 2 1/2 coats compared to 1 1/2.
--
Cheers
Dave.

alan@darkroom.+.com (A.Lee) wrote:

Plus of course the quality of the ingredients used and the type of pigment all make a difference. The expensive paints tend to have their pigment ground to a finer degree than cheaper paints which of course adds to the cost but it does create a much finer finish, which is why coachpaints are always more superior in terms of application finish and durability than household paints, but they don't make masonry paint unfortunately.
Stephen.
--
http://www.stephen.hull.btinternet.co.uk
From the Wirral Peninsular.
On Mon, 4 Jul 2011 08:02:27 +0100, alan@darkroom.+.com (A.Lee) wrote:

I've seen billboard advertising in the past few weeks saying that if you can buy cheaper than Dulux Trade Centres then they will refund the difference.
On Mon, 4 Jul 2011 06:53:08 +0100, the_constructor wrote:

Thats *very* cheap. Is it a branded paint such as Dulux or some "no name" stuff?
Last year I paid around 60/10l for Dulux Trade Smooth Masonary (tinted in store) from a Dulux Decorator center. They do have offers quite frequently, say 25% off shelf edge.
Painting the house is a big job, not something you want to do again in 3 years time 'cause the paint wasn't up to it.
--
Cheers
Dave.

On Mon, 4 Jul 2011 06:53:08 +0100, the_constructor wrote:

Thats *very* cheap. Is it a branded paint such as Dulux or some "no name" stuff?
Last year I paid around 60/10l for Dulux Trade Smooth Masonary (tinted in store) from a Dulux Decorator center. They do have offers quite frequently, say 25% off shelf edge.
Painting the house is a big job, not something you want to do again in 3 years time 'cause the paint wasn't up to it.
--
Cheers
Dave.

Here's the ebay link:

Trade, if honest stuff, is better. It costs more, but is intended to do the job in fewer (i.e. one) coats. Crown, Leyland, Dulux will all offer such ranges. A Crown Decorator Centre (small industrial estate in most cities & large towns) is a great place to buy paint - far better than B&Q or the retail sheds. Retail sheds are a dreadful price for most things, but paint especially.
For masonry, I use Leyland's Granacryl. "Trade" is less significant here, as most masonry paint is designed around one coat anyway, so there's less of a deliberate split into ranges. However quality does vary.
Rough texture masonry paint has far less covering power than smooth, owing to the filler, although it does give a different finish.
That's about the same price I was paying for Leyland from No Frills DIY (Focus clearance shop) until reently.
On 04/07/11 06:53, the_constructor wrote:

Is it this item http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200566712263
i was going to say you must be mad buying unbranded cheap paint,its usually crap. but the feedback the seller is getting is mostly good regarding the paint, most negs are about the delivery/courier service.
-

Yes, you are right. I looked at the feedback when I spotted the paint and if the seller had had any bad feedback due to paint, then I wouldn't have even considered it. I know some of you will think I am mad, but I use masonary paint to paint the wooden fences. It does last much longer than ordinary paint. I painted all the fences at my old house and still after 8 years they look as fresh as they did the day I painted them. That was using B&Q masonary paint.

You get what you pay for. Check through the feedback for that seller where some comments include "the paint was a bit thin and pale".
I use Johnstones Masonry Paint which is a trade brand, 40 for 10 litres. The stuff you are looking at may be OK, but what feeback there is seems to suggest that it's what one would expect for cheap paint - you're going to need more coats and it may not last long.