Totally OT: USB1.1 - USB 2.0

Page 2 of 2

Nigel Molesworth wrote:

Messagedededed via ebay.
Si
On Sat, 18 Mar 2006 17:22:03 -0000, Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot wrote:

Thanks, it will be in the post in the morning.
--
Nigel M

John wrote:

They will be either USB 2.0 or non-functional (if the supplied drivers for your OS don't work!). Your card will have a USB 2.0 controller on board dedicated for it's own ports.
--
Adrian C

problematic as some supplied drivers are pants and will not give you the higher speed 'enhanced' capability, which btw is the term to look for in Device Manager to confirm you have usb2. After a but of research I found that drivers for NEC chipsets generally work but ALi or Via ones may not. I can suggest a supplier of NEC based cards if you need it.
HTH
--
fred
Plusnet - I hope you like vanilla

That's irrelevant - a USB expansion card fits in a PCI slot and has its own controller. As long as the card is USB2 and the correct drivers are used it will run at the higher USB2 speed when connected to a device that supports it.

You have been reading too many adverts. Most devices will run far slower than the maximum(!) speed specified by the USB 1 or 2 protocols and it's possible to have a USB 2 device running on USB 2 hardware at less than the USB 1 maximum. It depends on the device, the software, and much more. Whatever you do you mustn't read the USB 1 speed spec, the USB 2 speed spec and expect a speed increase of USB2/USB1.
<snip>

USB doesn't handle sustained high transfer rates well, you want Firewire or SCSI for that - they have the advantage that they don't load the host CPU anything like as much as USB. The USB2 standard incorporates the USB1 standard, so any USB1 device is technically also a USB2 device. Why they decided to call the two speeds high speed and full speed, with high speed being faster than full speed, we will probably never know. Obviously the host can't receive data faster than the client can send it, or vice versa, and we agree the nominal speeds aren't achievable data transfer rates. But USB2 high speed potentially delivers in the order of 20 to 40 times the speed of (USB1.1) full speed if the client can make full use of the bandwidth.
You will have 6 USB 1.1 ports and 4 USB 2.0 ports making 10 ports in all.
| Sorry to be totally OT but you guys seem to have a wide knowledge range on | most things. I have a 3 year old PC that has 6 USB 1.1 ports. If I install | a PCI card which has 4 USB 2.0 ports on it, will they be 2.0 or will my PC | only 'run them' as if they were 1.1, if that makes sense? | | Cheers | | John | |
John wrote:

The PCI ports should run as 2.0 if it installs correctly.