Totally OT: Reverse Telephone/Fax Numbers

Page 1 of 2

Sorry to be totally OT but does anybody know of a site or facility to find a company name etc. from a fax number? The reason being is my Mum is constantly getting a call from a fax machine (01623 869384) on her phone, she doesn't have a fax m/c, and BT are being as helpful as a unhelpful person from Unhelpful Land! I can find sites on the web but they only seem to deal with USA numbers.
Thanks in advance for any help, and once again sorry to be totally OT. It is sort of DIY as I will be making the call on her behalf!
Cheers
John
How often is "constantly" ? 01623 in Mansfield area

Why not fax them and ask them - or just explain the problem?
--
*Arkansas State Motto: Don\'t Ask, Don\'t Tell, Don\'t Laugh.

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

When I lived in Oxford I would get fax calls every day at 6pm with the machine trying again shortly after failing the first time. After a while it became an annoyance. The number was withheld so I couldn't call anyone back and BT were next to useless. In the end I got some software for my modem and captured the fax one day. It turned out to be several pages of detailed, internal, financial information from Lloyds which they were sending to the previous occupant of the house. The fax had a telephone number on it. A quick call explaining that I would happily forward the documents to their competitors on a daily basis soon got them to stop.
Colin
On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 16:28:28 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"

But he doesn't have a fax machine!

Err, I'm using a 10 year old RISC OS computer and I can fax anyone from it. Are you saying a PC can't?
--
*What happens when none of your bees wax? *

Still OT - sorry. But I suspect a lot of people have suffered, as we have, from finding the old "Cheyenne Bitware" voicemail and fax system (packaged with cheap and cheerful modems over many years) is unusable on modern PCs with Win2K or later. If anyone knows of a fix, or an alternative, I'd love to hear about it!
--
Martin

(Remove barrier to reply)
Martin wrote:

Many years ago Delrina did a free "lite" version of Winfax. It used to be available from the Son of Spy freeware site. If you can't find it then drop me an email since I still have a copy.
Remeber also that Win2k does have some rudimentary fax software included (as does Win98 but not 98SE - no sure about WinME)
PlusNet offer a fax-to-email service with all accounts from their 4.99 flat rate dialup package (alas not the free PAYG one), others have mentioned TPC for sending faxes.
--
Cheers,

John.

MightyFAX <http://www.rkssoftware.com is a good simple basic send and receive program for faxes. Free 30 day trial then 20 dollars to register.
--
Mike Clarke

a pint if you not want to get technical and DIY.
Adam
David wrote:

David wrote:

John wrote:

Pretty sure the facility's been nobbled now, unless you can find an old copy of the ukinfodisk (?) CD a few years ago which allowed reverse lookup? (always assuming the number hasn't changed since then).
Entering the whole number into Google works surprisingly often, but unfortunately not in this case. It's a no-brainer to get the approx location from the STD code - plenty of sites that will do that - but another tip is just to enter the first few digits - especially if it's an oldish number (ie pre-number-portability rules coming in), that may narrow it down and at least provide clues?
So in this case, looking for "01623 869" brings up two numbers in adjacent villages in Notts: Walesby and New Ollerton. Help any?

But why didn't you post it in uk.telecom where there will be hundreds of gee^H^H^H experts on the subject???!!!
David
John wrote:

Register Mum's phone with the FPS (Fax prefrence service) Make a log of all dialed times then send log to FPS (note, you need to fax it through)
B.T. will contact the originator of the calls as long as it is from a BT network (doubtfull these days) they can also put a block on the line from recieving calls from that number, but prefer to try and sell you the service as an "extra".
We had a similar problem and ended up having to fax the FPS 5 or 6 times over as many months with an ever growing log before the (ticket promotions company) finally took our number from their auto-dialer.
I found temporary salvation in adding the originators fax number(s) to our fax machine's "ignore number" list wherby it just dropped the line, but we only had provision for up to 6 numbers.... they had more numbers they frequently used!
Saying that, it might just be somone with the wrong number entered on a speed dial button. :(
Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk wrote:

costs money I would think they would wish to remedy it. If you are unable to fax them I am sure some helpful person here would. I would, but my computer FAX facility has gone tilt and I have not got round to sorting it yet.
--
Please do not email me at snipped-for-privacy@towill.plus.net
All emails to that address are automatically

If you want to email me off list with her details, I'll happily send a fax on your behalf to that number, asking them to desist.
Gary Cavie wrote:

Chances are it won't even answer. Autodialler and computer generated fax with no autoanswer, or worse still, hiding behind a non existent CLI.

Fax them for free from http://www.tpc.int/ - the number you give is covered (replace the leading 0 with 44 though). I've not used this service for years but it used to work well...
Cheers,
Darren
dmc wrote:

That's a good idea - and if they don't desist (ie if its some sort of automatic fax) the daily ( or more?!) waste of fax paper might make them look into it!
But if you could temporarily hook up a fax machine to your mum's line, that would be the obvious solution, then you'd be able to read the faxes.
John wrote:

If you have either three way calling or call diversion[1], then you could redirect it to a real fax to see what it is...
[1] So called "star" services you rend from BT for 4 quid/quarter)
--
Cheers,

John.