Totally OT: PC Speaker Problem

Sorry to be so OT but I wonder if anybody can help please. I have recently purchased a new PC (Acer Aspire T180) for my two boys to use. The problem is that when browsing web sites the sound is there but very quiet and muffled. If a CD, DVD, Windows Sound is played the volume level is OK and as expected. The PC has multiple 3.5mm jacks to choose and they all produce the same effect. Does anybody have a clue as to what may be the problem?
Cheers
John
"when browsing web sites the sound is there but very quiet and

Vista? If so you can set the volume of applications one by one. You just click the volume icon and then the mixer. (I can't be more precise as I gave on on it.) You could at least see if the volume shave been set very differently for different apps.
And I'm sure you'd get a lot more an dbetter advice in eg microsoft.public.windows.vista.general.
--
Robin

wrote in message

volume slider, but a right click lets you open a bunch of separate sliders for CD, .wav files, and the player for web sounds like MIDI, Shockwave etc.

A normal double click does the same.