Totally OT - Motorhome holidays

SWMBO likes the idea of touring Canada next year (2007) in a motorhome, with our 2 kids who will be 5 & 7 then. Has anybody here ever done it and if so could you point me in the direction of some information. I have 'Googled' but this seems to bring up web sites selling holidays. I am after something like a forum giving advice and peoples experiences etc.
Sorry to be OT but I cannot seem to find a relevant newsgroup on my server.
Cheers
John
John wrote:

http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?q=motorhome+canada+tour&hl=en
may be of use.
|SWMBO likes the idea of touring Canada next year (2007) in a motorhome, with |our 2 kids who will be 5 & 7 then. Has anybody here ever done it and if so |could you point me in the direction of some information. I have 'Googled' |but this seems to bring up web sites selling holidays. I am after something |like a forum giving advice and peoples experiences etc. | |Sorry to be OT but I cannot seem to find a relevant newsgroup on my server.
Got a Fly Drive US style camper in California some years ago. Fabulous holiday of a lifetime.
A few warnings they are *big*, try driving something big in the UK before you go. We were experienced campers, which helped a lot. Beware the mileage limitations, Canada is *big*. Take the collision damage waver option you are driving on the wrong side of the road. I went too near to some fences.
--
Dave Fawthrop <dave hyphenologist co uk> Please quote, with quote
character, previous post sniped to only the bit you are replying to.

Might not work as well in something like a camper, but something I find useful in a car is to figure out roughly where I should be in the lane by use of the wing mirrors, and see what fixture I can use of the car to line up to the lane markings on the drivers' side.
Its usually the bottom corner of the windscreen for me - all I need to do then is a quick glance once in a while to make sure I haven`t strayed too far...
--
Please add the word "newsgroup" in the subject line of personal emails
**** My email address includes "ngspamtrap" and "@btinternet.com" ****
John wrote:

Where are you going?
:-)
--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Probably the Calgary area we fancy going to the Calgary Stampede http://cs.calgarystampede.com /, and the boys are cowboy crazy. Who knows where after that, we are just starting to think about it really.
Cheers
John
John wrote:

I'll do that joke again. Where are YOU going :-)
--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Doh, sorry. With the 'you' not emphasised I thought it was a genuine question for a link to specific info, sorry!
John

Doh, sorry. With the 'you' not emphasised I thought it was a genuine question for a link to specific info, sorry!
John

You'll need to add extra seals, GPS, and put little paddles on the wheels.
John wrote:

Try the forums at www.tripadvisor.com Don't know about the Canadian ones but the UK ones are fairly sensible. OT discussion gets moved to an OT section by the forum moderators.
Owain
On Fri, 3 Feb 2006 12:25:21 +0000 (UTC), "John"

uk.rec.motorcaravans is not very lively anyway.
- Regards, VivienB
John wrote:

Dunno, but I've done the western USA.
Its called an RUV not a motorhome.
Try a google.
John wrote:

Watch for limitations in the terms & conditions. We flew in to Vancouver a few years back with a camper prebooked through our UK travel agent. "Go where you please, the highways and byways of Canada are yours to explore." said the litterature in the UK. "You can't go north of <some place whose name I have forgotten>." said the clerk when we went to pick the camper up. We didn't take the camper, although we had already paid for it and just took boats up to Skagway and hired cars and pick up trucks as needed. The distances can be vast (we went up to Dawson City and back down through Alaska). If you are camping, watch out for bear and mosquitoes - having been attacked by the mosquitoes, I would probably prefer to be attacked by a bear next time...
(Got camper hire refunded + compensation once back in UK after some hassle.)
Have fun,
William.
|Watch for limitations in the terms & conditions. |We flew in to Vancouver a few years back with a | camper prebooked through our UK |travel agent. "Go where you please, the highways and byways of |Canada are yours to explore." said the litterature in the UK. |"You can't go north of ...
Agreed! We found Death Valley was forbidden when we took a Camper Fly Drive to California :-(
--
Dave Fawthrop <dave hyphenologist co uk> Please quote, with quote
character, previous post sniped to only the bit you are replying to.
Dave Fawthrop wrote:

We drove an RV through Death Valley. It rained all the way and it was carpeted with flowers - what a swindle!