Totally OT Cranes

I live in Leeds where there is lots of redevelopment going on in the city centre. I was driving through the other day and got wondering "How do they build them and get the crane cab and boom up there?" Do they use another crane? If so how did they build that one, did they use another crane? If so....... Do we have a chicken and egg situation here? I have never seen one of these things erected, they just seem to appear overnight. Is it the crane fairies job to put them there?

Cheers

John

Reply to
John

It builds itself, pulling up a section and slotting it in beneath, pushing itself upwards clever stuff, google for it I'm sure theres something out there about it.

Reply to
Vass

In article , John writes

I'm sorry to disappoint you but there are no fairies involved. They just use a large mobile crane.

Reply to
Tim Mitchell

Steve Rich

They build the top bit neer the ground, with another crane. The bottom section of the upright has hydrolics, and jacks the whole lot up, a new section is inserted, crane is now 20 foot higher. repeat untill crane is desired height.

Rick

Reply to
Rick

I think the OP is looking at the cranes 100's of feet tall.......

Reply to
Rick

So how did they build the that crane?

:¬)

Reply to
PeTe33

In article , Rick writes

I read the link someone else posted and realised that ... I have seen one built with a mobile crane though, but presumably only up to a certain height.

Reply to
Tim Mitchell

John

This all depends on the type of crane you are seeing! If these appear as a letter T on the horizon comprised of lattice consruction sections, they are known as tower cranes. As other posters point out these actually "self erect". Incidentally the top horizontal member of the T is left to free pivot when the crane is not in use so that it acts as a wind direction indicator. This is so that the top of the crane presents the minimum wind area when idle. Also you will see a counter weight on the end of the T horizontal (opposited end to the hook). This increases the lift capacity by counterbalancing the lifted load and reducing the nett overturning moment. On the more sophisticated cranes I believe the position of this weight is adjustable.

If you are talking mobile cranes with lattice construction booms/jibs which pivot at the base, then the larger versions of these do indeed need smaller cranes or fork lifts for assembly. Basically the boom is assembled in the horizontal and the rigging fitted and used to raise the boom to operating angle.

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

But once the development is finished, what happens if there is no clear space to reverse the process? The jib must be detachable in some way?

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

They reverse the process. Room to do this is one of the things they take into consideration before building it.

If they didn't do that, they'd find themselves in the same position as the legendary biker who took all the components of his motorcycle upstairs to his room where it was warmer to work. Built the bike and then had a little trouble with the bend in the stairs. :-))

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

#1: One of the Sat-Cable Channels shows these being self-erected frequently - 'Amazing/Big/Monster Machines/Engineering ' or some such. One programme actually showed a _building_ in Sweden which was a 'jack-it-up' construction; central core with stair-case- service ducts etc; lay floor 'segments'; place re-bar pump concrete; when set - remove petals, add next storey's inner core moulds, pour concrete; when set - remove moulds; add next floor petals ... repeat ... repeat.

#2: spoke to an industrial electrician (not Part P) and he said he _looks_ for cityscape with lots of tower cranes; - there's jobbing opportunities for carpenters, electricians, plumbers at the base of each of them.

Reply to
Brian Sharrock

The revers process, I guess you work this out before you build, especially with the cranes that end up being in the lift shaft of the building. Some buildings end up with a small crane on the top, presuably it can help remove the big one.

You could of couce call in "Controlled Demolition" to blow it down.

Rick

Reply to
Rick