Toilet seat hinges removal

I need to replace my toilet seat and have bought a new one. Problem is that the plastic wing hinges are stuck fast (on the old seat)and i cant budge them. Any tips for loosening them up. Will I have to use a hack saw to get them off.
Any ideas appreciated.
says...

presume?
I've had success with needle-nose mole grips. Also ROBUST metal scissors held open to the width of the wings may give you the required twisting force.
snipped-for-privacy@you.con says...

from the top.

Using pliers! I`ll try the top entry thanks/
Harry Syme wrote:

Assuming you don't want to keep the old one :-)
The plastic tops of the hinges usually have slots in them to allow adjustment. Use suitable blunt object to bash them sideways away from the centre. One will usually give up.
--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

nothing worked so i melted it off with a soldering iron...worked very well and only took a few mins!
Thanks for the replies folks.

I bet that smelt great. But 10/10 for thinking about doing that.
Adam

It was one of those ideas that worked better than i imagined. I just "drew a line" down the washer (dome shaped) at both sides then ripped it off with a pair of pliers. Yes it was quite smelly and I was trying not to breath in any fumes but it took about 3 mins on each one.
The new seat has metal winged washers...whether they will be any better remains to be seen. Watch this space in about 10 years if the new one lasts as long as the old.
:o)