Toilet leak when flush - looks like seal between cistern and bowl

Just noticed this....
Looks like the cistern doesnt fit absolutely squarely on the back of the bowl (Cheers Barratt!). Consequently it looks like its all got gunked up and started leaking a little.
Am I right in saying the bowl isnt fastened to the cistern normally (it doesnt look like) and that cistern fastens to wall, sits on bowl/ base which is screwed into the floor?
I'm guessing best way to fix is to remove cistern, clean out crap, replace seal and re-fit (a bit squarer) ?

Almost certainly. But are there not screws holding the cistern to the pan? I've just been and looked, and mine has, there are two screws with wing nuts holding them together. Of course if the builders screwed the cistern to the wall before fixing to the pan, this may well be the result.
Steve

I can see wingnuts underneath but cant see where they come into the bottom of the cistern,...
Hi The cistern is normally placed onto the bowl with a foam sealing ring (commonly called a doh-nut.) then 2 brass bolts with rubber washers pass through the base of the cistern and through the bowl being held with another washer and wing nuts. The cistern is then held to the wall with 2 screws in the back of the cistern above the water line. Over time the doh-nut degrades and a leak occurs or the rubber sealing washers rot again causing a leak. Most DIY or plumbing merchants stock new parts for a few pounds.Some even carry a kit of all new parts for about a fiver. The trick is to fix the cistern to the bowl first and then fix to the wall.Don't over tighten as the parts may break.
HTH CJ

There are two common types of do-nuts. One is a simple (spongy) rubber ring, the other is like a flattened hemisphere. As stated above they only cost a pound or so so get one of each.
Take great care with the bolts through the bottom of the cistern - usually fastened to a metal flange rather than through the pedestal. The flange then has wider mounts to attach to the bowl. The bolts from within the cistern are usually brass and, although they won't seize up, they may corrode and be difficult to free. If so then you may compromise the water seal in the bottom of the cistern and gain a leak (sic!) Have a couple of (bath) tap washers and a tube of silicone sealant handing in case you need to re-seal; note if you do re-seal the inside of the cistern should be clean and dry until the sealant has completely cured.
If you have some Waxoyl or silicon grease, wipe a little onto the full surface of the do-nut before you fit it. Not only will it help the sealing action, it will also keep the rubber soft so that it maintains the seal as it flexes with the mutual movement between cistern and bowl. Also, whilst you have the cistern off check and if necessary repair/replace the wall plugs where the cistern is attached, and as you are going to have the cistern apart, replace the water lift unit (the thing that actually creates the flush) - they only cost about a tenner and it will save you another job down the line.
Don't be afraid of it - the job is quite simple really, just fiddly.
--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com

Cheers everyone. I can see the wing nut underneath but cant see it coming up inside the cistern?
Looking underneath it looks like the seal has got all manky etc with stuff leaking out. Looks like I'll have to take apart. Doesnt look too difficult.
paulfoel wrote:

Some bolt through the cistern - bad idea IMO, some have a steel plate held by the nut that also holds the siphon in place. You can see it in the picture here http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Plumbing/Toilet+Fittings/Close+Coupling+Kit+Metal/d20/sd2835/p85615

It isn't.
--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Ah. Looking underneath that looks like it.
Looks like its been leaking slightly and all black gunk has caused it to expand apart...
On Jan 1, 4:39pm, "The Medway Handyman"

so I understand how it bolts up from underneth but how does this connect to the cistern?
Hi as posted by others it seems you have the more modern type cistern this has no bolts through its base ,instead a pressed steel plate is mounted on the outlet shaft of the siphon assembly and this carries 2 bolts which locate in the pan . This is why you can't find any bolts as they are between the pan and cistern. Removal is easy (unless rusted solid) simply remove the 2 wing nuts keeping the steel & rubber washers then remove the wall fixing screws and the cistern is free. IGWS make sure the water inlet & overflow are disconnected and the cistern is empty. HTH CJ

so I understand how it bolts up from underneth but how does this connect to the cistern?

Sounds like the old pull chains, of my youth, if one even lived in a house with 'mod con', are no more? The holding of one's nose and dramatizing the downward pulling of a chain was a very effective way of saying something would not work or should be disapproved! {:-)
Sounds like the old pull chains, of my youth, if one even lived in a house with 'mod con', are no more?
Almost, but not quite. I know someone who recently reinstated an outside WC in a brick outhouse which had been used as a shed for some years. Now he can "go" without having to take his boots off when he's gardening.
The holding of one's nose and dramatizing the downward pulling of a chain was a very effective way of saying something would not work or should be disapproved! {:-)
It was. I haven't seen it used for a while. I might change that when the opportunity arises.
Steve

Paul theres a large plastic nut that holds the metal plate in place (the nut screws onto the base of the siphon). The bolts from the plate then hold the plate (and cistern) to the toilet.

Got the part from toolstation now. Cheap - 2.49. I bet it would have cost more from B+Q !!!!!
I guess it'll all become clear when I get the whole lot apart....
paulfoel wrote:

Nearly 6 in Homobase - thieving bastards.
--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk
Woody wrote:

If using a replacement kit, make sure the plates are the same thickness as the old ones. If not, you can end up with the cistern being a fraction higher than before, just enough so that the screws into the wall don't line up.

Ooh no, there are hundreds. I like the ones filled with custard.
On Fri, 01 Jan 2010 16:17:01 +0000, Woody wrote:

Do they become don't-nuts when they fail? :-)