Toilet Flush Problem

Hello,

We have traditional toilet with lever flush. Now it is not flushing unless you give it a small pump and then a big one. We actually have two toilets with the same flush mechanism. In the defective toilet there does not seem to be the same "suction" feeling when you operate the lever as with the other one.

Any suggestions on how I can fix this myself, or should I get a plumber in?

Many thanks.

Reply to
Lorenzo

PS Here is a link to a page of spare parts for my particular toilet (Heritage Granley) -

Reply to
Lorenzo

PS Here is a link to a page of spare parts for my particular toilet (Heritage Granley) -

am thinking a new "syphon" might be required (only ?6). If this iscorrect, can an amateur fit this himself??Thanks again.

Reply to
Lorenzo

Sounds to me like the diaphram has split. This is a piece of thickish polythene in the bottom of the rectangular part of the syphon, and costs a few pence. This is a relatively easy job to do. If your syphon is like the one at £6 (QSP163) then the water will need turning off and the cistern removing in order to change the diaphram. If your syphon looks like the one in QSP46, 51 or 52 then it can be taken apart while the water is still on by unscrewing the blue ring just down from the top. The rectangular housing can then be removed and the diaphram changed.

HTH

John

Reply to
John

There is a diaphram in the bottom of the thing that has probably torn and need replacing. I used a circle of clear plastic cut from a file folder. It lasted 3 years.

Reply to
EricP

Is the water in the tank at the correct level?

Reply to
London

Thanks EricP.

I have now destroyed one of my wife's plastic folders (nice pink colour!) and have a working toilet again!

Nice tip, thanks!

Reply to
Lorenzo

If your syphon looks like the one

Thanks John. Luckily mine did have the blue ring, and using EricP's tip about cutting up a plastic folder, things are now back to normal. What did we do before the internet?? Thanks again.

Reply to
Lorenzo