Toilet cistern Siphons

Cistern siphon is the internal overflow type,can anyone who has experience of these please tell me if they can be relied on and are they fitted as standard on new installations.They are new to me but I am not in the building trade.
I've got one in my bathroom and it's been fine. Wish I'd known about them when I put in a downstairs loo as the only place I could run an overflow was into the garage. They aren't actually syphons, they just open a valve on the bottom of the valve and just release the water into the pan. Much better in my opinion

I agree, but in the UK, AFAIK these things are not legal. The idea of a syphonic type is that water cannot continue to trickle over into the pan without anyone knowing about it, neither can water back its way into the mains.
The type Paul mentions is not, I think what the OP is talking about, although it does work well. But syphonic ones work well and are ubiquitous in the UK.
Rob Graham

Thanks to you both.I have tested this one of mine and it works well
Tab
These valves do, in fact have wras approval. Screwfix sell them as do suppliers of fitted bathroom furniture. I can't see why they they wouldn't meet the regs as back-siphonage is just as improbable as with a syphon. Just because syphons are ubiquitous tot he UK doesn't mean that new ideas shouldn't be introduced. In fact these units give a more powerful flush as the water gushes much more quickly meaning that you can have a much smaller cistern using less water.

They should be. Test it by holding the ballvalve float down so the cistern overflows at full inlet flow, and make sure the overflow mechanism can handle this without water spilling out of cistern via some other path.
--
Andrew Gabriel