Toilet Ball valve

Thinking of replacing valve in toilet cistern And was having a look in DIY stores.It is a bottom entry fitting and I notice the 'arm' on all the ones I see is PVC.Can anyone please tell me what the red removable gadget on the arm is for,also the arms are all too long for my cistern,Is there just one size? The fitting I have at present has a metal arm.Thanks for any advice on this

The red 'thingy' replaces the white 'thingy' already fitted inside if you are installng on a mains fed supply. Arm lengths vary, keep looking until you find the right size or go to a decent plumbers / independant DIY (recommend Melvyn Clarke at Carshalton Surrey if you live near!)
Peter

I did try Plumbcentre but their valves were the same as B&Q etc.By the way I am a long way from Carshalton ---North Scotland!!!
Tab

Buy a Fluidmaster one instead -- no long arm and ball. Fast silent refill. Positive shutoff with no trickling or dripping.
However, make sure you purge the pipe of any crud as described in the instructions, and make sure the overflow can carry the water out at full inlet speed by holding the float submerged until the water level rises as far as it can.
--
Andrew Gabriel

Or try a torbeck valve. They also have a short arm and are silent. They come with 2 different flow restrictors for different water pressures and you simply push one of them into the inlet.
writes:

Try one of these:
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?cId 0996&tsH395&id960
... and they're almost silent when refilling the cistern
woodglass...

ones
the
this