Toilet Ball valve

Thinking of replacing valve in toilet cistern And was having a look in DIY stores.It is a bottom entry fitting and I notice the 'arm' on all the ones I see is PVC.Can anyone please tell me what the red removable gadget on the arm is for,also the arms are all too long for my cistern,Is there just one size? The fitting I have at present has a metal arm.Thanks for any advice on this

Reply to
tab

The red 'thingy' replaces the white 'thingy' already fitted inside if you are installng on a mains fed supply. Arm lengths vary, keep looking until you find the right size or go to a decent plumbers / independant DIY (recommend Melvyn Clarke at Carshalton Surrey if you live near!)

Peter

Reply to
Peter Andrews

I did try Plumbcentre but their valves were the same as B&Q etc.By the way I am a long way from Carshalton ---North Scotland!!!

Tab

Reply to
tab

Buy a Fluidmaster one instead -- no long arm and ball. Fast silent refill. Positive shutoff with no trickling or dripping.

However, make sure you purge the pipe of any crud as described in the instructions, and make sure the overflow can carry the water out at full inlet speed by holding the float submerged until the water level rises as far as it can.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Reply to
Paul Saunders

Try one of these:

... and they're almost silent when refilling the cistern

woodglass...

Reply to
woodglass