To rebuild or not

Hi,

My second question of the day.

Some bl**dy bodger 35 years ago knocked most of the middle wall down between the living and dining rooms extending an existing doorway to a 9 ft opening. Good idea, open plan, great.

Many years ago when I moved in I put back a 4 ft section on the right hand side to match the left and installed double doors. I presumed that because the section of wall I was putting back was not load bearing I could use what I believe is a cinder block ( it crumbles and is grey) to do the job.

Yesterday I removed the old plaster work. What I have found is totally amazing. No Steel work just two planks of wood for the 9ft section. Gaps in the brickwork that had been filled, believe it or not with the bag the plaster had come in and plastered over and yes the brickwork above has sagged.

I have now propped the wall and bought the piece of steel to replace the wood. I was going to start the job tomorrow but am left wondering is the 4ft section of block work really sufficient to be load bearing or should I replace it.

If replacement is the answer then no problem but if o.k. then I don't really what to spend all that time doing it.

Many thanks for any replies,

Simon

P.S. From the state of the wall I am glad I rebuilt a section 17 years ago to reduce the opening to only 5 ft or so.

Reply to
Simon

Make sure you talk to building control about what you are planning, Building Regs will apply.

Richard

Reply to
Richard

Like the original job was done to regs!! If the 'cinder blocks' were the heavyweight 7N concrete blocks and not lightweight 'thermal' blocks then fine...

Reply to
Phil

Down our way the Building control insist on calcalations which means paying a structual engineer.

ken

Reply to
Ken