Tiling Quote.

A neighbour has asked me to do an En-Suite refurb for her after she saw my en-suite, bathroom and kitchen. I said I would do it for 'a few beers' but she wants to pay me. So I said OK get a quote and I'll do it for half! It's nothing difficult as it is only the shower area in one corner of the room. Strip out the old tiles, cubicle, tray etc and replace with similar. The tiled area is 1m wide in both directions and up to the ceiling so approx 5 square metres. Fairly new build (12 years) so walls are OK and if it's anything like mine the tiles will ping off and leave very little preparation work before retiling etc. She has been quoted 1100 for this and she is to provide the tiles, the tiler/plumber will provide adhesive, grout and trims. Does this sound reasonable to you boys & girls or is it too dear, I think it's steep.
Cheers
John

supplied. He would charge to remove old tiles and make good the wall.
Personally 1100 sounds a little steep. Get another quote or just give your neighbour a price assuming that the quote was too dear.
Adam
I would agree, way too steep IMO. I think the rule of thumb for tiling is about 20 - 25 Psqm, or it is around my way. I got my wetroom done which was big tiles on the walls and mosaics on the floor this came to around 350 excluding tiles costs but he supplied adhesive/grout etc. It's not clear if the price includes a new shower or will it just be refitted? Either way he's trying it on.....get another quote! Cheers
Richard
I would agree, way too steep IMO. I think the rule of thumb for tiling is about 20 - 25 Psqm, or it is around my way. I got my wetroom done which was big tiles on the walls and mosaics on the floor this came to around 350 excluding tiles costs but he supplied adhesive/grout etc. It's not clear if the price includes a new shower or will it just be refitted? Either way he's trying it on.....get another quote!
No new shower, using existing one. Just removing all the old tiles, cubicle and tray and retiling before refitting a new tray and cubicle and obviously sealing up etc. I thought it was steep as I thought 'professionals' charged around 25 per metre for tiles but it is all the other work that I wouldn't know the costs for.
Thanks
John
John wrote:

Ask her for word for word what she said to the tiler and you get in touch with same tiler and ask him for a quote,bet yer it'll be a lot less because he's dealing with a bloke?
300 and you supply the materials, less tiles.
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Dunno if this helps but our kitchen floor was tiled - 27feet by about 12. Quotes ranges from 700 to 1200 excluding tiles but including cost of grout...this was in 2003
John wrote:

I take it that quote was not just for the tiling, and was for fitting the whole shower etc?
IME tilers usually charge something starting round the £20 / sq meter - although possibly up to as much as £50 / meter if you want very "difficult" tiles fitted (real marble slabs etc).
You did not mention who is providing the new shower / tray / cubical etc, but remember these can cost silly money.
So depending on what was included £1100 could be anything from a bit steep, to pretty cheap!
--
Cheers,

John.

Tiler is only providing labour, adhesive,grout, trims and charm, nothing else. Tray, cubicle and tiles provided by my neighbour
Cheers
John
John wrote:

Is he doing the fitting of the tray or any of the plumbing etc? If not then I would expect his price seems high unless there is something we are missing.
--
Cheers,

John.

He is quoting to do everything apart from supplying the tiles.
John
John wrote:

So to summerise he is going to:
Strip out exiting tiles and fittings etc Make good walls Build new plinth if required and bed in tray join waste fitting Silicone tray (1st fix) Tile & Grout with trims etc Silicone seal tray (finish) Fit shower and sort plumbing as required Fit shower cubical Silicone everything in sight snagging / clearing up
That's assuming it all goes to plan.
In which case I would say the quote sounds pretty good for all that! (can't see him finishing in less than four days)
--
Cheers,

John.