Tiling on 2 layers of plasterboard?

Hi - I am trying to figure out how to level my bathroom wall before tiling. The wall was already half tiled and we have matched the tiles and going to finish off the rest of the wall so we can have a shower above the bath.

Problem is that the wall at the tap end of the bath (where the shower is) is not level meaning that there will be problems when we come to fitting the shower screen (will not sit flush on wall and bath). To prevent this I am looking to re-level the wall (if possible).

The plaster board is currently fixed with adhesive to breeze block. I need to bring the section of the wall I am lookign to tile out by about 10mm to make it level with the existing tiles. I was thinking of simply fitting another layre of 9mm plasterboard and then tiling over that. We are using natural stone travertine tiles which are pretty weighty.

Is this a safe way of attacking this problem or would the 'plasterboard on plasterboard' approach not be recommended?

Many thanks Paul

Reply to
Porky79

If this is your main concern is the shower screen not sitting flush with the bath and wall why not just try some UPVC trims to bridge any gaps ... you can obtain a surprisingly professional finish with little effort. Most UPVC suppliers will have a stock of varying sizes and you should be able to find something to fit which would be easier (?) then trying to level the whole wall.

Ash

Reply to
Ash

How about using aquapanel instead of PB. Much better for showers IMHO

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Agree about the aquapanel as opposed to plasterboard ... you only need a small amount of moister on plasterboard for it to deteriorate rapidly ... aquapanel will not rot or deteriorate in moist conditions. It's more expensive than plasterboard but it'll pay dividends in the long term.

Ash

Reply to
Ash

I cannot see you having any problems doing that. Use plenty of plasterboard adhesive.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth