Tiles on top of hardboard?

I need to make good the tiling around kitchen units, but the tiles that are already on the wall are about 10mm thick and the nearest ones I can find are more like 4mm thick. Can I stick thin hardboard to the wall and then tile onto that to make the thin tiles sit at the same level as the existing ones? It's an odd question, but I vaguely recall years ago reading something about not being possible to tile onto hardboard and similar materials.
Thanks all,
V.

Just build the adhesive out to suit.
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------070001080908070601000100 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit