Tile on tile

I'm planning to retile the shower cubicle and intend to simply tile over the existing sound tiles. Is there any particular kind of preparation I would need to undertake/particular type of adhesive to ensure a solid fix between the two sets of tiles?

TIA

Reply to
David P

Although I've never done this I hear tiling on tiles is perfectly OK. The main thing is to ensure the adhesive can get a good grip on the old tile either by roughening the surface with a wire brush or the like or applying a PVA sealer.

Reply to
Tim

I had a go a few years ago and the main thing is to make sure your old tiles are clean from any soaps, shampoos, etc and there shouldn't be any problems with the adhesive sticking the new tiles to the old.

Ash

Reply to
Ash

Did this a few months ago when half tiling my kitchen. Just washed down with sugar soap. They really are stuck as I needed to remove a couple after a few weeks and had to whack them very very hard.

Ken

Reply to
Ken

Thanks Ken, Tim & Ash. Now all I have to do is get a decision on which tiles I'm to buy - that is outside my control

Reply to
David P

Good luck that took us several months with countless trips to DIY stores. And guess what we bought the ones we saw on our first trip. I learned a lot and too the easy way out - no small tiles - no big tiles (have 150 x150). I nearly bought an electric cutter but didn't and found some of the scribes did not suit me but one from Screwfix did and as others told me it would be faster and cleaner and it was.

Ken

Reply to
Ken