thermostat, does this exist?

We've moved into a fairly old property which we will refurbish in the not too distant future. At the moment we have a hot water tank which doesn't have a thermostat, we have connected up a timer but occasionally the tank overheats and the boiling water comes out of our overflow. As the tank doesn't have an internal thermostat I was hoping to find a stand alone one which could be strapped to the side of the tank.
Does this kind of thing exist? I can't find anything on the net.
Cheers,
Darryl
Darryl Bailie wrote:

Are you sure that it doesn't have a thermostat? Like, taken the (black?) cover where the wires disappear into the housing and look? (mains off first, naturally). You may find a thermostat wired inside..
But:
Yes they exist. eg http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?ida083&tsa693
Note that is is not intended to control an immersion heater directly - it can only switch 6A. Many can only switch 3A. So it needs to be used with a contactor/relay, rated for the immersion heater current and in a suitable enclosure with the correct protective devices.
--
Sue

Cheers, I'll have a look tonight but this looks just the ticket
Darryl

Unless there is a way of using one of the thermostats below
<http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Water_Heating_Index/Immersion_Heaters_2/index.html
then go with Sue's idea but use
<http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Water_Heating_Index/Central_Heating_Other_1/index.html
as it will switch 16 amps and not need a seperate relay.
Adam
"Darryl Bailie" wrote:

Are you saying that you use an immersion heater to heat your water but it doesn't cut out when the water gets hot, but carries on heating the water until it boils over? Or is your water heated by a boiler of some kind? If you use an immersion heater they usually have a built-in thermostat, but they can fail and result in the water being boiled.