testing extractor fan

Is there such a product as something which will make a non-staining "cloud" which could be released in the inside of a room so that it could be seen on the outside when the extractor fan was running ? The outlet of my bathroom extractor fan is too high to get to easily so such a method would make it easy to see if the fan is venting correctly. TIA Phian

As you want to test the ducting not the fan then try something like <http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?TabID=1&criteria=usb&ModuleNo 746&doy=search&C=SO&U=Strat15> It is non toxic etc. If you have access to the ducting run (eg loft) then check for leaks along the run as you do the test.
Adam

<http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?TabID=1&criteria=usb&ModuleNo 746&doy=search&C=SO&U=Strat15>

Equally effective is to run a hot shower in your bathroom on a cold day, steam up the bathroom alot and then turn on the fan, go outside look at the outlet. You see "steam" coming out, it's working. You don't? You have a problem.
Al

Do you know a gas engineer who will let you have a smoke bomb which they use for testing chimneys ?
James

I don't know one at the moment but will bear the thought in mind.
Phian

Make your own
<http://www.metacafe.com/watch/358963/home_made_smoke_bombs/
This will of course end in a divorce
Adam

Next really frosty day I will give it a try, thanks.

<http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?TabID=1&criteria=usb&ModuleNo 746&doy=search&C=SO&U=Strat15>

Just what I was looking for - thanks.