Storage heater- output dial

Hello
I have a large combined storage / convector heater in the lounge, the output dial is stuck or at least I think it is. I have taken the dial cover off and there is a metal ring around the semi-circle knob, the ring has plastic bits holding the knob in place. I took this bits out and the metal ring came out as well, I tried to turn the knob and it won't budge.
2 questions:
Is the metal ring thing supposed to have bits of plastic holding it in place, I am thinking the plastic bits are there by design rather than a build up of dirt?
How do I get the knob to turn ? Is it supposed to turn ?
Any thoughts on the black art of storage heaters are greatly appreciated.
, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com writes

I'm not entirely clear what you are asking but this may help:
The output control on a storage heater is a mechanical arrangement which operates an air control flap. The higher the output number the more open the flap should be and the greater the airflow that is allowed to pass over the hot bricks. Tracing the mechanical linkage back from the flap to the dial may help you understand what has gone wrong. Note that being a mechanical linkage it will be prone to becoming heavy in operation if it has become dirty or lost lubrication.
HTH
--
fred
Plusnet - I hope you like vanilla

Make and model may help a constructive reply - I've fixed a couple in the past but wouldn't like to comment on a generic model.
Peter
Peter,
Sorry I don't know the model, the previous owner has managed to paint over any identifying marks.
Michelle

Why not take the cover off and have a look at the workings?
Rob Graham