stopping creaky floor boards

Hi

Upstairs chipboard floor is very noisy when walked on. Drives me mad when I am downstairs. This weekend I lifted the carpet and put some chipboard screws (No 10 2.5") into the chipboard next to the existing nails. All in all, put in about 20 screws across the offending area and it STILL creaks when walked upon.

The floor is a chipboard floor, house is 10 years old.

Anyone any ideas on how to stop the creaking?

TIA

Reply to
who-knows

Try another pair of shoes? (Sorry, couldn't resist it). Jaymack

Reply to
John McLean

I was expecting a comment like "move house"....any other suggestions?

Reply to
who-knows

Apart from moving house, lift the boards and check that the joists are firmly fixed.

| >> Upstairs chipboard floor is very noisy when walked on. Drives me mad | >> when | > I | >> am downstairs. This weekend I lifted the carpet and put some chipboard | >> screws (No 10 2.5") into the chipboard next to the existing nails. All | >> in | >> all, put in about 20 screws across the offending area and it STILL creaks | >> when walked upon. | >>

| >> The floor is a chipboard floor, house is 10 years old. | >>

| >> Anyone any ideas on how to stop the creaking? | >>

| >> TIA | >>

| > Try another pair of shoes? (Sorry, couldn't resist it). | > Jaymack | >

| | I was expecting a comment like "move house"....any other suggestions? | |

Reply to
Stickems.

It sounds like you have the chipboard pretty firmly fixed to the joists and so isn't moving independently of them. So maybe it is one or more of the joists moving and hence causing movement of the chipboard ?

Either not enough of them, not braced to each other adequately, or not properly supported..One may have warped so that it has lifted off its bearer, just a little.

You may actually be making the situation, noise-wise, worse by even more rigidly coupling the chipboard with the joists.

Is there actually any visible movement of the floor, without the carpet, when some-one walks across it?

Or, it could be that the chipboard was jammed in over-size and still isn't fully down on the joists, in spite of the screws. If it is bowed up away from the joists, no amount of screws will pull it back down into contact. Removing all the screws, nails, etc and re-fixing from the centre outwards may help..

I fear that you may have to cut on inspection hatch, if you haven't got a suitable one, into the floor and have a look at what is going on, underneath.

Reply to
Palindr☻me

Chipboard flooring. Thoroughly nasty stuff, put down as it's cheap. If it is the toungue & grooved stuff, it is usually glued at the tongue when fitting, and it is the tongue joints that usually cause the creaks.You could lift the offending piece and re-glue it although if it's in the middle of the floor you will have to cut the tongues out and then fit timber noggins. If you are sure you have screwed it down properly, you could either squirt PVA adhesive along the joint or put talculm powder in the joints.

ken

Reply to
Ken

This is the action of a protesting poltergeist, your house is haunted. Do not antagonise him by walking on this area any more as things may start to get broken around the house by nothing other than spirit energy.

Leave the room quietly for a week or two and hopefully he will go away and lodge himself in some poor so and so's central heating system. Have you had a death in the area upon which your house was built? Or maybe the kids did something in that room around Halloween?

On the other hand a good dusting of talcom powder can often cause breathing difficulties for poltergeists and cure the problem. Honest.

TonyB

Reply to
TonyB