Sticking cement to cement / bricks

I have a brick gatepost and the top three rows of bricks and cap have come off. The part that's come off holds a metal gate retainer, so I suspect that possibly the gate has been slammed hard or something.
The top part appears to have come away clean, with the layer of mortar all being on the remaining part. If put back as it is, the top fits snugly on the on the rest of the post.
I was going to try and cut all the mortar from the post, add a new layer, and fit the top back on.
One problem that I can see is that the vibration of me chiselling away at the old mortar may well part another layer of bricks further down.
One thought that did occur to me was whether there was the equivalent of masonry superglue - something I could spread over the existing mortar and then rebed the top part of the post back on it.
Is there such a thing available?
Roger
snipped-for-privacy@cix.compulink.co.uk wrote:

Gripfil will give you a cosmetic result but it is a bodge. Remove the mortar with something like an angle grinder to prevent damage to other courses.
Bob
snipped-for-privacy@cix.compulink.co.uk wrote in

http://www.quikrete.com/ProductLines/ExteriorUseAnchoringCement.asp

Realised this is a US product, and you are in the UK. Look for "Anchoring Cement" at your building materials suppliers.
CR
On 10/10/2010 15:12, ConwayRadis wrote:

I did, at five (OK, two proper ones, and three sheds).
One shed said it was on the shelf. It wasn't. Another said it wasn't - at least they were right about that. I didn't ask at the third, and the real merchants had no idea what I was on about; Grrr.
Andy
Thanks for the replies.
It seems like I've been saved the work - it was a friend's gatepost and they'd asked their usual repair main to do it and he hadn't turned up (I was in reserve!), but they've now had it done.
It's all useful information and I'll keep it for future reference.
Roger

     snipped-for-privacy@cix.compulink.co.uk writes:

Out of curiosity, how did he fix it?

--
Andrew Gabriel
I'm not sure, but I should be going round there later, so I'll have a look

Sorry for the late reply.
The person wasn't sure. The mortar was new, so I assume the old mortar was removed and replaced with fresh.
Roger

Yes, it's called Gorilla Glue.
--
Each time someone stands up for an ideal or acts to improve the lot of
others, or strikes out against injustice, he sends forth a little ripple of