Sticking cement to cement / bricks

I have a brick gatepost and the top three rows of bricks and cap have come off. The part that's come off holds a metal gate retainer, so I suspect that possibly the gate has been slammed hard or something.

The top part appears to have come away clean, with the layer of mortar all being on the remaining part. If put back as it is, the top fits snugly on the on the rest of the post.

I was going to try and cut all the mortar from the post, add a new layer, and fit the top back on.

One problem that I can see is that the vibration of me chiselling away at the old mortar may well part another layer of bricks further down.

One thought that did occur to me was whether there was the equivalent of masonry superglue - something I could spread over the existing mortar and then rebed the top part of the post back on it.

Is there such a thing available?

Roger

Reply to
romic

Gripfil will give you a cosmetic result but it is a bodge. Remove the mortar with something like an angle grinder to prevent damage to other courses.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

snipped-for-privacy@cix.compulink.co.uk wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

ConwayRadis

ConwayRadis wrote in news:Xns9E0D5C0AF178DDoNOTcall@

207.246.207.189:

Realised this is a US product, and you are in the UK. Look for "Anchoring Cement" at your building materials suppliers.

CR

Reply to
ConwayRadis

Thanks for the replies.

It seems like I've been saved the work - it was a friend's gatepost and they'd asked their usual repair main to do it and he hadn't turned up (I was in reserve!), but they've now had it done.

It's all useful information and I'll keep it for future reference.

Roger

Reply to
romic

Out of curiosity, how did he fix it?

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I'm not sure, but I should be going round there later, so I'll have a look

Roger

Reply to
romic

Yes, it's called Gorilla Glue.

Reply to
Richard Head

I did, at five (OK, two proper ones, and three sheds).

One shed said it was on the shelf. It wasn't. Another said it wasn't - at least they were right about that. I didn't ask at the third, and the real merchants had no idea what I was on about; Grrr.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Sorry for the late reply.

The person wasn't sure. The mortar was new, so I assume the old mortar was removed and replaced with fresh.

Roger

Reply to
romic